Generic Name and Formulations:
Sucroferric oxyhydroxide 500mg; chew tabs.
Fresenius Medical Care North America
Indications for VELPHORO:
For control of serum phosphorus levels in patients with chronic kidney disease on dialysis.
Chew, do not swallow whole. Take with meals. Initially 500mg 3 times daily; monitor serum phosphorus levels and titrate dose in decrements or increments of 500mg/day as needed until acceptable serum phosphorus level reached. May titrate as often as weekly.
GI, hepatic, or iron accumulation disorders; monitor effect and iron homeostasis. Pregnancy (Cat.B).
Separate dosing of doxycycline, acetylsalicylic acid, cephalexin by ≥1hr before Velphoro; levothyroxine by ≥4hrs before. Concomitant drugs with narrow therapeutic index; monitor.
Discolored feces, diarrhea, nausea.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Subclinical Hypothyroidism: Controversies in Testing and Treatment
- Favorable Outcomes With Second-Generation Insulin Analogs in Type 2 Diabetes
- Treatment With Alemtuzumab May Frequently Induce Thyroid Dysfunction
- Type 2 Diabetes and Alzheimer Disease: What's the Connection?
- NT-proBNP May Predict Cardiovascular Outcomes in Type 2 Diabetes
- Using Latent Class Trajectory Analysis to Determine Glucose Response Curve Patterns
- First CGM System With Implantable Glucose Sensor Approved
- Empagliflozin, Linagliptin Combination Therapy vs Linagliptin Monotherapy for Type 2 Diabetes
- Risk for Below Knee Amputations With Canagliflozin vs Other Antihyperglycemic Agents
- Two Phases of C-Peptide Decline Identified in Type I Diabetes
- Effect of SGLT2 Inhibitors on Heart Failure-Related Hospitalization, Below-Knee Amputation
- Nutraceuticals Containing Equol May Be Effective for Postmenopausal Symptoms
- Conservative Monitoring Strategy for Non-Functioning Pituitary Adenomas Evaluated
- FDA: Some Rx Drugs May Become Available Without Seeing a Doctor
- PM2.5 Contributes to Burden of Diabetes Mellitus Globally