Generic Name and Formulations:
Vasopressin 20U/mL; soln for IV inj after dilution.
Par Pharmaceutical, Inc.
Indications for VASOSTRICT:
To increase blood pressure in vasodilatory shock (eg, post-cardiotomy or sepsis) who remain hypotensive despite fluids and catecholamines.
Use lowest effective dose. Post-cardiotomy shock: initially 0.03U/min; max 0.1U/min. Septic shock: initially 0.01U/min; max 0.07U/min. May titrate up by 0.005U/min at 10–15min intervals if target BP not achieved. After target BP maintained for 8hrs without use of catecholamines, taper by 0.005U/min every hour as tolerated to maintain target BP.
Impaired cardiac response may worsen cardiac output. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: advise to pump and discard breast milk for 1.5hrs after vasopressin dose.
Additive effect with concomitant catecholamines. May be potentiated by indomethacin, ganglionic blocking agents, furosemide, SSRIs, tricyclics, haloperidol, chlorpropamide, enalapril, methyldopa, pentamidine, vincristine, cyclophosphamide, ifosfamide, felbamate. May be antagonized by demeclocycline, lithium, foscarnet, clozapine.
Decreased cardiac output, bradycardia, tachyarrhythmias, hyponatremia, ischemia (coronary, mesenteric, skin, digital).
Multi-dose vials (1mL)—25
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Use of In-Hospital Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion: A Consensus Statement
- Better Control With DPP-4 Inhibitors vs NPH Insulin in Type 2 Diabetes
- Achieving Glycemic Control in T2D After Basal Insulin Initiation
- Osteoporosis Drug Shows Cardioprotective Potential at 10-Year Follow-Up
- Effects of the Two Types of Anorexia Nervosa on Bone Metabolism
- Diabetes Treatments
- Incretins, Thiazolidinediones Associated With Better Glycemic Control in T2D
- No Link Between HbA1c Levels and Wound Healing in Patients With Diabetic Foot Ulcers
- Risk for Fetal Loss Early in Pregnancy Not Greater With Noninsulin vs Insulin Therapy
- Risk for Iodine Deficiency and Hypothyroidism High in Children on Parenteral Nutrition
- Inverse Association Between Serum 25(OH)D Levels and Risk for Diabetes
- Glycemic Control Variations for Children, Adolescents With T1D in High-Income Countries
- Late-Life Mobility Limitations Linked to Obesity After Arthroplasty for OA in Women
- Fracture Risk Should Be Monitored in Bisphosphonate Drug Holiday
- Provider Counseling for Weight Loss Up for Arthritis, Overweight