Generic Name and Formulations:
Vasopressin 20U/mL; soln for IV inj after dilution.
Par Pharmaceutical, Inc.
Indications for VASOSTRICT:
To increase blood pressure in vasodilatory shock (eg, post-cardiotomy or sepsis) who remain hypotensive despite fluids and catecholamines.
Use lowest effective dose. Post-cardiotomy shock: initially 0.03U/min; max 0.1U/min. Septic shock: initially 0.01U/min; max 0.07U/min. May titrate up by 0.005U/min at 10–15min intervals if target BP not achieved. After target BP maintained for 8hrs without use of catecholamines, taper by 0.005U/min every hour as tolerated to maintain target BP.
Impaired cardiac response may worsen cardiac output. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: advise to pump and discard breast milk for 1.5hrs after vasopressin dose.
Additive effect with concomitant catecholamines. May be potentiated by indomethacin, ganglionic blocking agents, furosemide, SSRIs, tricyclics, haloperidol, chlorpropamide, enalapril, methyldopa, pentamidine, vincristine, cyclophosphamide, ifosfamide, felbamate. May be antagonized by demeclocycline, lithium, foscarnet, clozapine.
Decreased cardiac output, bradycardia, tachyarrhythmias, hyponatremia, ischemia (coronary, mesenteric, skin, digital).
Multi-dose vials (1mL)—25
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Update on Vitamin D and Calcium Supplements for Reducing Fracture Risk
- AAP Shares List of 5 Unnecessary Pediatric Tests and Procedures
- Severe Hypoglycemia Associated With Increased Mortality Risk in T2D
- Efficacy of CGM in Preterm Infants of Mothers With Diabetes
- SSRIs and SNRIs Linked to Type 2 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents
- High Grip Strength Associated With Lower Risk for Diabetes-Related AEs
- Statin Use for CVD Prevention Increases Diabetes Risk in Overweight Patients
- Optimal Timing of Gastric Bypass and Cholecystectomy When Both Procedures Clinically Indicated
- Does Asthma Contribute to Infertility?
- Short-Term Probiotics Increase Weight Loss in Overweight, Obesity