Generic Name and Formulations:
Hepatitis A vaccine, inactivated 25Units per 0.5mL (pediatric/adolescent), or 50Units per 1mL (adult); susp for IM inj; aluminum adsorbed; preservative-free.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for VAQTA:
Hepatitis A immunization.
≥19 yrs: 1mL IM at elected date and booster dose (1mL IM) 6–18 months later.
<12 months: not recommended. 1–18 yrs: 0.5mL IM at elected date and booster dose (0.5mL IM) 6–18 months later.
Have epinephrine (1:1000) available. Latex allergy. Inject into deltoid muscle, preferably at least 2 weeks before expected exposure. If given with immune globulin, use separate syringe and different site. Fever. Malignancies. Immunocompromised (may have suboptimal response). Bleeding disorders. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Immunosuppressives may reduce efficacy. Concomitant vaccines, immune globulins: see literature.
Injection site reactions (esp. pain, tenderness), headache, fever, GI upset, myalgia, abdominal pain, rash, pharyngitis and other upper respiratory tract effects.
Prefilled syringes (0.5mL, 1mL)—1, 5; Single-dose vials (0.5mL)—1, 10; Single-dose vials (1mL)—1, 5, 10
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Higher BUN May Increase Risk for Incident Diabetes
- Efficacy of Novel GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Drug Device Examined
- Takeout Food May Increase Adverse Health Consequences in Children
- Nonhormonal Options Available for Menopause Symptom Relief
- Plasma Volume Changes Mediate Risk of CV Mortality With Empagliflozin
- New Consensus Recommendations on Use of Continuous Glucose Monitoring
- Does Genetic Susceptibility Lead to Late-Onset Type 1 Diabetes?
- Clinical Outcomes in T2D: Low-Carbohydrate vs Calorie-Restricted Diet
- New Continuous Glucose Monitoring System Now Available for Medicare Patients
- Text Message-Delivered Interventions Effective for Weight Management
- Effect of Intra-Articular Depot Betamethasone on Insulin Resistance in T2D
- Gastric Bypass vs Sleeve Gastrectomy Outcomes in Morbid Obesity
- Acute Kidney Injury Increases Risk for Postdischarge Hypoglycemia in Diabetes
- Novel Deep Learning System May Help Identify Diabetic Retinopathy
- Trends in CVD, Risk Factors, and Medications in Children With T1D