Generic Name and Formulations:
Histrelin acetate 50mg; SC implant.
Indications for VANTAS:
Palliative treatment of advanced prostate cancer.
Insert 1 implant SC in the inner aspect of the upper arm. Remove after 12 months; may replace.
Pregnancy (Cat.X). Nursing mothers. Not for use in women or children.
Initial transient increase in serum testosterone may result in worsening signs/symptoms (eg, bone pain, neuropathy, hematuria). Metastatic vertebral lesions, urinary tract obstruction (monitor closely in 1st few weeks). Avoid wetting inserted arm for 24hrs and heavy lifting or strenuous exertion for 1st week. Increased risk of developing diabetes; monitor blood glucose and HbA1c periodically; treat if occurs. Increased risk of developing MI, sudden cardiac death, stroke; monitor for signs/symptoms of cardiovascular disease. May prolong QT/QTc interval in patients with congenital long QT syndrome, CHF, electrolyte abnormalities; monitor ECGs. If electrolyte abnormalities occur, correct and monitor. Measure serum testosterone, PSA levels periodically. Implant not visible on X-ray.
May interfere with pituitary gonadotropic and gonadal function tests. Caution with concomitant drugs known to prolong the QT interval.
Hot flashes, fatigue, implant site reactions, testicular atrophy, renal impairment; hyperglycemia, diabetes, cardiovascular disease.
Kit—1 (w. implant and supplies)
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Single Blood Sample Highly Predictive for Subsequent Diabetes Diagnosis
- Adjunctive Metformin for Insulin Resistance in T1D: A Clinical Perspective
- Effect of Fructose, Allulose on Postprandial Glucose Regulation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Sex Hormone Levels May Affect Postmenopausal Heart Disease Risk
- Menopausal Hormone Therapy Slows Cognitive Decline in Postmenopausal Women
- Diabetes Treatments
- Metformin May Decrease Colorectal Cancer Risk Among Males With Diabetes
- SGLT2 Inhibitor, GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Combination Treatment for Type 2 Diabetes: Expert Insights
- Semaglutide May Induce Weight Loss in Type 2 Diabetes Despite BMI
- FDA Clears Omnipod DASH System for Diabetes Management
- Effect of Infant Feeding Practices and Gut Microbiota on Overweight in First Year
- Empagliflozin, Linagliptin Combination Therapy vs Linagliptin Monotherapy for Type 2 Diabetes
- Cleared Blood Glucose Monitor Systems Not Always Accurate
- CDC: Obesity Prevalence Higher in Non-Metropolitan Counties
- Vascular Mortality Declining in Adults With Diabetes in the United States