Generic Name and Formulations:
Fluocinonide 0.1%; crm.
Medicis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for VANOS:
Do not use for >2 consecutive weeks. Apply thin film 1–2 times daily; max 60g/week.
Do not use superpotent forms on face, groin, or axillae. Exclude viral disease (eg, chickenpox, measles).
Treat infection if present; discontinue if infection persists or worsens. Do not use near eyes, or on diaper dermatitis or pre-existing skin atrophy. Do not use fluorinated steroids longer than 1 week on the face. Avoid abrupt cessation in chronic use. Systemic absorption increased by broken or inflamed skin, prolonged use, application to large surface area, or use of occlusive dressings. Occlude only if necessary; do not occlude higher potency products. Monitor adrenal function in children if a high potency product or occlusion is used, and in adults if more than 50g weekly of a high potency product is used. Discontinue or reduce dose or potency if HPA axis suppression, Cushing's syndrome, hyperglycemia, glucosuria, or irritation occurs. Use lowest effective dose and potency (esp. in children). Use caution if applying to face or body folds. Do not use continuously or for prophylaxis. Foams are flammable. Reevaluate periodically. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Burning, stinging, pruritus, erythema, skin atrophy, striae, miliaria, secondary infections, hypopigmentation, folliculitis, hypertrichosis, acneiform eruptions, dermal cracking and fissuring, telangiectasia, contact dermatitis, other local effects, immunosuppression, masks infections, HPA axis suppression (esp. in children).
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Efficacy and Safety of Alirocumab in Diabetes Mellitus
- Safety of DPP-IV Inhibitor, Cardiovascular Events After ACS in Type 2 Diabetes
- Adjunctive Metformin for Insulin Resistance in T1D: A Clinical Perspective
- Effect of Fructose, Allulose on Postprandial Glucose Regulation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Sex Hormone Levels May Affect Postmenopausal Heart Disease Risk
- Diabetes Treatments
- Metformin May Decrease Colorectal Cancer Risk Among Males With Diabetes
- SGLT2 Inhibitor, GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Combination Treatment for Type 2 Diabetes: Expert Insights
- Semaglutide May Induce Weight Loss in Type 2 Diabetes Despite BMI
- FDA Clears Omnipod DASH System for Diabetes Management
- Menopausal Hormone Therapy Slows Cognitive Decline in Postmenopausal Women
- Does Maintenance of Certification Status Affect Patient Care?
- Emotional Hyper-Reactivity and Cardiometabolic Risk in Remitted Bipolar Disorder
- Reduced Mortality for Women Undergoing Assisted Reproduction Likely Due to "Healthy Patient Effect"
- Romosozumab Followed by Denosumab Effective for BMD Increase in Postmenopausal Women