Generic Name and Formulations:
Methoxsalen 20mcg/mL; sterile soln.
Indications for UVADEX:
Extracorporeal administration with the UVAR Photopheresis System in the palliative treatment of skin manifestations of cutaneous T-cell lymphoma that is unresponsive to other forms of treatment.
Consult UVAR Photopheresis System Operator's Manual before administering. Give on two consecutive days every 4 weeks for minimum of 7 treatment cycles (6 months). 200mcg per photopheresis treatment. Accelerated treatment schedule: see literature.
Idiosyncratic reactions to psoralen compounds. History of light sensitive disease. Lupus erythematosus. Porphyria cutanea tarda. Erythropoietic protoporphyria. Variegate porphyria. Xeroderma pigmentosum. Albinism. Aphakia.
Exposure to sun or UV light may cause actinic degeneration, skin burning, cataracts; wear UVA-absorbing, wrap-around sunglasses and cover exposed skin (or use sunblock: SPF ≥15) for 24hrs after treatment. Basal cell carcinomas (monitor and treat if occur). Pregnancy (Cat.D); nursing mothers: not recommended.
Increased photosensitivity with anthralin, coal tar, griseofulvin, phenothiazines, nalidixic acid, halogenated salicylanilides, sulfonamides, tetracyclines, thiazides, organic staining dyes.
Hypotension secondary to changes in extracorporeal volume.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Higher BUN May Increase Risk for Incident Diabetes
- Efficacy of Novel GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Drug Device Examined
- Takeout Food May Increase Adverse Health Consequences in Children
- Nonhormonal Options Available for Menopause Symptom Relief
- Plasma Volume Changes Mediate Risk of CV Mortality With Empagliflozin
- New Consensus Recommendations on Use of Continuous Glucose Monitoring
- Does Genetic Susceptibility Lead to Late-Onset Type 1 Diabetes?
- Clinical Outcomes in T2D: Low-Carbohydrate vs Calorie-Restricted Diet
- New Continuous Glucose Monitoring System Now Available for Medicare Patients
- Text Message-Delivered Interventions Effective for Weight Management
- Effect of Intra-Articular Depot Betamethasone on Insulin Resistance in T2D
- Gastric Bypass vs Sleeve Gastrectomy Outcomes in Morbid Obesity
- Acute Kidney Injury Increases Risk for Postdischarge Hypoglycemia in Diabetes
- Novel Deep Learning System May Help Identify Diabetic Retinopathy
- Trends in CVD, Risk Factors, and Medications in Children With T1D