Type 2 Diabetes
Exercise regimens were prescribed based on individual disease states: diabetes without complications, diabetic retinopathy, diabetic nephropathy, diabetic autonomic neuropathy, or diabetic peripheral neuropathy.
For patients with type 2 diabetes, visit-to-visit variability in systolic blood pressure may function as an independent predictor for cardiovascular events.
Researchers presented data from the ODYSSEY DM Insulin and Dyslipidemia trials at ADA 2017.
Semaglutide significantly increased insulin response and was well-tolerated in patients with type 2 diabetes.
Cardiometabolic Disease Staging scores can be used to quantify diabetes risk and assess efficacy of weight loss pharmacotherapy in obesity.
Three-times daily text messages over a 6 month period were found to improve glycemic control vs usual care.
There were no significant differences in hemoglobin A1c across the 3 self-monitoring blood glucose groups.
A pooled analysis examined the rates of amputation and fracture in patients with type 2 diabetes prescribed empagliflozin.
The FDA is poised to review data from the DEVOTE trial, examining the rates of major adverse cardiovascular events in insulin degludec vs insulin glargine.
Sulforaphane extract from cruciferous vegetables aids in dysglycemia regulation in patients with obesity and type 2 diabetes.
Two studies examined the effects of naltrexone/bupropion on weight loss, glycemic parameters, and cardiovascular risks in patients with type 2 diabetes.
Liraglutide does not increase the risk for acute pancreatitis in patients with type 2 diabetes who are also at high risk for cardiovascular events.
Sleep apnea was independently linked to sight-threatening diabetic retinopathy in type 2 diabetes.
Type 2 diabetes risk appears to be increased in patients with hepatitis C virus and related disorders.
No difference was noted among groups related to insulin sensitivity following vitamin D supplementation.
Diabetic foot ulcers correlated with a 3.4-fold increase in the odds of a patient needing an emergency department referral.
Patients with type 2 diabetes taking statins after insulin initiation had better glycemic control, but their risk for mortality was higher compared with patients who did not take statins.
Riser patterns in patients' BP resulting from orthostatic hypotension has been linked to increased rates of mortality and major adverse cardiac and cerebrovascular events.
A randomized double-blind trial examined the safety and efficacy of ertugliflozin plus metformin for inadequately controlled type 2 diabetes.
Obesity negatively affects brain function, particularly in patients with type 2 diabetes.
Researchers examined the relationship between maternal diabetes and asthma risk in children.
More patients in the device-supported group achieved a fasting self-monitored plasma glucose target of 90 to 130 mg/dL at week 16 without severe hypoglycemia.
HbA1c fell from 7.9%±2.0% at admission to 7.1%±1.5% at 3 months after discharge.
A new point-of-care C peptide test may increase ease and access to testing for patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
Canagliflozin reduced levels of cardiovascular stress biomarkers N-terminal pro-B type natriuretic peptide and high sensitivity troponin I.
At 3 months, ezetimibe produced greater reductions in LDL cholesterol, whereas colesevelam produced greater reductions in HbA1c levels.
At 12 years of testosterone treatment, HbA1c decreased to 5.5±0.3%.
Flow mediated dilation changes improved in patients who received dapagliflozin.
Researchers assessed whether neurolysis could alleviate pain associated with diabetic neuropathy.
American Indian youth with increasingly severe obesity had a significantly higher risk of type 2 diabetes incidence.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Semaglutide Improved Beta-Cell Function and Glycemic Control in Type 2 Diabetes
- Blood Glucose Self-Monitoring in Type 2 Diabetes Does Not Benefit Glycemic Control
- Elagolix Relieves Short-Term Menstrual Pain, Dysmenorrhea in Endometriosis
- Improving Glycemic Control in T2D With Text Message Intervention
- The Handoff: Your Week in Endocrinology News - 6/23/17
- Reduced Cardiovascular Events in Type 2 Diabetes Treated With Dapagliflozin
- Prolonged Delayed Eating Linked to Weight Gain, Increased Respiratory Quotient
- Canagliflozin Reduces Cardiovascular Stress In Older Patients With Type 2 Diabetes
- GLP-1 Analog Counteracts Antipsychotic-Induced Glucose Intolerance, Weight Gain
- Diabetic Retinopathy Caused by Sleep Apnea in T2D
- USPSTF Updates Recommendations for Screening Obesity in Children and Adolescents
- Exercise Protocol Improves Outcomes in T2D
- Interspersed Upper Body Activity With Sedentary Time Improves Glucose, Insulin
- AHA Advisory: Replace Saturated Fat to Reduce CVD By 30%
- Type 2 Diabetes Death and CV Events Predicted by Systolic Blood Pressure Variability