High-Dose Beta-Blockers More Effective in Chronic Heart Failure, Diabetes
Increased angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor dosage was associated with a lower mortality rate in people with diabetes.
- Witte KK, Drozd M, Walker AMN, et al. Mortality reduction associated with β-adrenoceptor inhibition in chronic heart failure is greater in patients with diabetes [published online October 5, 2017]. Diabetes Care. doi: 10.2337/dc17-1406
- Yusuf S, Pitt B, Davis CE, Hood WB, Cohn JN, for the SOLVD Investigators. Effect of enalapril on survival in patients with reduced left ventricular ejection fractions and congestive heart failure. N Engl J Med. 1991;325(5):293-302.
- MERIT-HF Study Group. Effect of metoprolol CR/XL in chronic heart failure: Metoprolol CR/XL Randomised Intervention Trial in Congestive Heart Failure (MERIT-HF). Lancet. 1999;353(9169):2001-2007.
- Mann DL, Bristow MR. Mechanisms and models in heart failure: the biomechanical model and beyond. Circulation. 2005;111(21):2837-2849.
- Standl E, Schnell O, McGuire DK. Heart failure considerations of antihyperglycemic medications for type 2 diabetes. Circ Res. 2016;118(11):1830-1843.
- Low Wang CC, Hess CN, Hiatt WR, Goldfine AB. Clinical update: cardiovascular disease in diabetes mellitus atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease and heart failure in type 2 diabetes mellitus – mechanisms, management and clinical considerations. Circulation. 2016;133(24):2459-2502.
- Dauriz M, Targher G, Laroche C, et al; for the ESC-HFA Heart Failure Long-Term Registry. Association between diabetes and 1-year adverse clinical outcomes in a multinational cohort of ambulatory patients with chronic heart failure: results from the ESC-HFA Heart Failure Long-Term Registry. Diabetes Care. 2017;40(5):671-678.
- MacDonald MR, Petrie MC, Varyani F, et al; for the CHARM Investigators. Impact of diabetes on outcomes in patients with low and preserved ejection fraction heart failure: an analysis of the Candesartan in Heart failure: Assessment of Reduction in Mortality and morbidity (CHARM) programme. Eur Heart J. 2008;29(11):1377-1385.
- Cubbon RM, Adams B, Rajwani A, et al. Diabetes mellitus is associated with adverse prognosis in chronic heart failure of ischaemic and non-ischaemic aetiology. Diab Vasc Dis Res. 2013;10(4):330-336.