Type 1 Diabetes
Diabetic ketoacidosis led to fatal demise, preterm birth, and neonatal intensive care unit admissions.
Hypoglycemic episodes, moderate or severe, can effectively and efficiently be managed by nasal glucagon in adult patients with type 1 diabetes.
Mental health and behavioral screenings should be routine part of care for pediatric patients with diabetes
A new point-of-care C peptide test may increase ease and access to testing for patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
In all groups of participants, a lower HbA1c was associated with a better health-related quality of life in type 1 diabetes.
A single session of HIIT can "rapidly reduce" awareness of hypoglycemia in patients with type 1 diabetes.
First look at research to be presented at ADA 2017.
Both mealtime and postmeal faster insulin aspart are noninferior to mealtime conventional insulin aspart, regarding HbA1c change from baseline.
After 3 days without taking insulin, a patient presents to the emergency room with hyperglycemia and concerns of diabetic ketoacidosis.
There is a 5% probability of progression from state 1 to state 5 between retinal screenings.
Researchers examined whether within-day glycemic variability plays a role in microvascular complications.
Febuxostat was found to have a modest impact in lowering systolic blood pressure among patients with type 1 diabetes.
Patients with type 1 diabetes had higher mortality rates when admitted for acute myocardial infarction compared with patients with type 2 diabetes.
Dual diagnosis of an eating disorder with type 1 diabetes -- known as diabulimia -- is a newly-recognized psychiatric illness in this patient population.
A randomized controlled trial assessed whether mild lower extremity compression can be safely used in patients with diabetes and concurrent lower extremity edema.
A study sought to determine if a virtual glucose management service can result in improved inpatient glycemic control.
PLGM tied to smaller number of hypoglycemic events; increase in time spent 140 mg/dL
Adjuvant metformin produced a small but nonsignificant decrease in body mass index and insulin dose, but by year 10, no beneficial effects were evident.
Black and Latino youth were less likely to undergo an eye examination for diabetic retinopathy within 6 years of their diagnosis.
The prevalence of complications associated with type 1 and type 2 diabetes diagnosed during childhood and adolescence was compared in a multicenter, observational study.
Age-adjusted diabetes incidence increased for every 1 degree celcius temperature increase.
A study found approximately one-third of people with diabetes were undiagnosed or unaware of the diagnosis.
An update to the ADA's 2017 Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes indicates that, barring contraindication, patients with type 2 diabetes should undergo metformin therapy as first-line treatment.
Insulin types and regimens should be determined on an individual basis since there is insufficient data to support one treatment over another.
Investigators found early signs of kidney disease, retinopathy, arterial stiffness, and hypertension in adolescents with either type 1 or type 2 diabetes.
The American Diabetes Association and the Endocrine Society have issued statements with the intent of improving insulin access and affordability.
Children younger than 12 were at an elevated risk of type 1 diabetes.
Evidence-based guidelines and clinician recommendations have been evaluated to create the first-of-its-kind statement focused on psychosocial care of people with diabetes.
The ADA updated recommendations on prevention methods and pain management for 2 forms of diabetic neuropathy.
The studies will assess the safety, efficacy, and user-friendliness among other aspects, of multiple artificial pancreas devices.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Semaglutide Improved Beta-Cell Function and Glycemic Control in Type 2 Diabetes
- Blood Glucose Self-Monitoring in Type 2 Diabetes Does Not Benefit Glycemic Control
- Elagolix Relieves Short-Term Menstrual Pain, Dysmenorrhea in Endometriosis
- Improving Glycemic Control in T2D With Text Message Intervention
- The Handoff: Your Week in Endocrinology News - 6/23/17
- Reduced Cardiovascular Events in Type 2 Diabetes Treated With Dapagliflozin
- Prolonged Delayed Eating Linked to Weight Gain, Increased Respiratory Quotient
- Canagliflozin Reduces Cardiovascular Stress In Older Patients With Type 2 Diabetes
- GLP-1 Analog Counteracts Antipsychotic-Induced Glucose Intolerance, Weight Gain
- Diabetic Retinopathy Caused by Sleep Apnea in T2D
- USPSTF Updates Recommendations for Screening Obesity in Children and Adolescents
- Exercise Protocol Improves Outcomes in T2D
- Interspersed Upper Body Activity With Sedentary Time Improves Glucose, Insulin
- AHA Advisory: Replace Saturated Fat to Reduce CVD By 30%
- Type 2 Diabetes Death and CV Events Predicted by Systolic Blood Pressure Variability