Generic Name and Formulations:
Tigecycline 50mg/vial; lyophilized pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution and dilution; preservative-free.
Indications for TYGACIL:
Susceptible complicated skin and skin structure and intra-abdominal infections. Community-acquired bacterial pneumonia (CABP). Limitations of use: not for treating diabetic foot infection, hospital-acquired or ventilator-associated pneumonia.
≥18yrs: Give by IV infusion over 30–60 mins. 100mg once, then 50mg every 12hrs. Skin, skin structure, and intra-abdominal infections: treat for 5–14 days. CABP: treat for 7–14 days. Severe hepatic impairment (Child Pugh C): 100mg once, then 25mg every 12hrs.
<18yrs: not recommended. See full labeling for suggested dosages when no alternative antibacterial drugs are available.
Risk of increase in all-cause mortality; reserve for use when alternatives are not suitable. Monitor for hepatic dysfunction and pancreatitis; consider discontinuing if occurs. Ventilator-associated pneumonia. Complicated intra-abdominal infections secondary to intestinal perforation: avoid monotherapy (sepsis/septic shock may develop). Avoid during tooth development; may cause permanent discoloration of the teeth. Severe hepatic impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.D): not recommended. Nursing mothers.
Monitor warfarin. May antagonize oral contraceptives.
Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, headache, increased SGPT, inj site reactions, photosensitivity, pseudotumor cerebri; pancreatitis, superinfection, anaphylaxis, C. difficile-associated diarrhea (evaluate if occurs).
Single-use vials (5mL, 10mL)—10
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Two Phases of C-Peptide Decline Identified in Type I Diabetes
- Dulaglutide Effective for Patients With T2D, Moderate to Severe CKD
- Incidence of Diabetes Influenced by Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals in the Environment
- Romosozumab: Effective in Men With Osteoporosis
- Guidelines for Management of Hypothalamic-Pituitary, Growth Disorders in Childhood Cancer Survivors
- Using Latent Class Trajectory Analysis to Determine Glucose Response Curve Patterns
- First CGM System With Implantable Glucose Sensor Approved
- Adjunctive Metformin for Insulin Resistance in T1D: A Clinical Perspective
- Risk for Below Knee Amputations With Canagliflozin vs Other Antihyperglycemic Agents
- Empagliflozin, Linagliptin Combination Therapy vs Linagliptin Monotherapy for Type 2 Diabetes
- NT-proBNP May Predict Cardiovascular Outcomes in Type 2 Diabetes
- Placebo Effect of Various Female Sexual Dysfunction Drug Txs Assessed
- Link Between Oral Diabetes Medications and Bullous Pemphigoid
- Calcium Channel Blocker May Benefit Patients With Type 1 Diabetes
- β-Cell Function in Youth With Impaired Glucose Tolerance, T2D