Generic Name and Formulations:
Trimethoprim 100mg, 200mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Trimethoprim:
Treatment of initial episodes of uncomplicated UTI due to susceptible strains (E. coli, P. mirabilis, K. pneumoniae, Enterobacter species, coagulase-negative Staphylococcus species, including S. saprophyticus).
Treat for 10 days. 100mg every 12 hours or 200mg every 24 hours. CrCl 15–30mL/min: 50mg every 12 hours. CrCl<15mL/min: not recommended.
Megaloblastic anemia due to folate deficiency.
May interfere with hematopoieses (esp. when given in large doses and/or prolonged periods). Obtain CBCs if signs of serious blood disorder develop, discontinue if significant reduction in any formed blood element is found. Possible folate deficiency. Renal or hepatic impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
May potentiate phenytoin. May interfere with serum methotrexate assay, Jaffe alkaline picrate reaction assay for creatinine.
Folic acid inhibitor.
Rash, pruritus, GI upset, blood dyscrasias, hyperkalemia, hyponatremia, fever, increased BUN, serum creatinine; rare: aseptic meningitis, cholestatic jaundice, hypersensitivity reactions.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Single Blood Sample Highly Predictive for Subsequent Diabetes Diagnosis
- Adjunctive Metformin for Insulin Resistance in T1D: A Clinical Perspective
- Effect of Fructose, Allulose on Postprandial Glucose Regulation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Sex Hormone Levels May Affect Postmenopausal Heart Disease Risk
- Menopausal Hormone Therapy Slows Cognitive Decline in Postmenopausal Women
- Diabetes Treatments
- Metformin May Decrease Colorectal Cancer Risk Among Males With Diabetes
- SGLT2 Inhibitor, GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Combination Treatment for Type 2 Diabetes: Expert Insights
- Semaglutide May Induce Weight Loss in Type 2 Diabetes Despite BMI
- FDA Clears Omnipod DASH System for Diabetes Management
- Effect of Infant Feeding Practices and Gut Microbiota on Overweight in First Year
- Empagliflozin, Linagliptin Combination Therapy vs Linagliptin Monotherapy for Type 2 Diabetes
- Cleared Blood Glucose Monitor Systems Not Always Accurate
- CDC: Obesity Prevalence Higher in Non-Metropolitan Counties
- Vascular Mortality Declining in Adults With Diabetes in the United States