Trihexyphenidyl Elixir Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Trihexyphenidyl HCl 2mg/5mL; lime-mint flavor; contains alcohol.
Indications for Trihexyphenidyl Elixir:
Adjunct in Parkinsonism. Drug-induced extrapyramidal symptoms (EPS).
Take with food. Give in 3–4 divided doses. Parkinsonism: 1mg on day 1, may increase by 2mg every 3–5 days; usual max 6–15mg/day. Concomitant levodopa: 3–6mg/day and reduce levodopa dose. EPS: 1mg on day 1; range 5–15mg/day.
Tardive dyskinesia. Narrow-angle glaucoma.
Cardiovascular, renal, or hepatic disorders. Hypertension. Psychosis. GI or GU obstruction. Exposure to extreme heat. Monitor intraocular pressure. Avoid abrupt cessation. Nursing mothers.
Potentiates CNS depression with alcohol, CNS depressants. Antagonizes psychotropics. Additive anticholinergic effects with MAOIs. Paralytic ileus with phenothiazines, tricyclic antidepressants.
Anticholinergic and antihistaminic effects, confusion, anhidrosis, excitement, nausea, vomiting, angle-closure glaucoma, hallucinations, neuroleptic malignant syndrome, heat stroke, drowsiness.
Formerly known under the brand name Artane.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Subclinical Hypothyroidism: Controversies in Testing and Treatment
- Canagliflozin Trial for T2D With CKD Stopped Early Due to Positive Results
- Favorable Outcomes With Second-Generation Insulin Analogs in Type 2 Diabetes
- Type 2 Diabetes and Alzheimer Disease: What's the Connection?
- Risk for Hypoglycemia During Titration With Insulin Glargine 100 U/mL in T2D
- Using Latent Class Trajectory Analysis to Determine Glucose Response Curve Patterns
- First CGM System With Implantable Glucose Sensor Approved
- Empagliflozin, Linagliptin Combination Therapy vs Linagliptin Monotherapy for Type 2 Diabetes
- Risk for Below Knee Amputations With Canagliflozin vs Other Antihyperglycemic Agents
- Two Phases of C-Peptide Decline Identified in Type I Diabetes
- Effect of SGLT2 Inhibitors on Heart Failure-Related Hospitalization, Below-Knee Amputation
- Nutraceuticals Containing Equol May Be Effective for Postmenopausal Symptoms
- Conservative Monitoring Strategy for Non-Functioning Pituitary Adenomas Evaluated
- FDA: Some Rx Drugs May Become Available Without Seeing a Doctor
- PM2.5 Contributes to Burden of Diabetes Mellitus Globally