Generic Name and Formulations:
Fenofibrate 160mg; tabs.
Indications for TRIGLIDE:
Adjunct to diet in severe hypertriglyceridemia, to reduce elevated total-C, LDL-C, apo B, TG, and to increase HDL-C in primary hypercholesterolemia and mixed dyslipidemia.
Limitations Of use:
Fenofibrate did not reduce coronary heart disease morbidity and mortality in 2 controlled trials of patients with type 2 diabetes.
Swallow whole. 160mg once daily. Discontinue if inadequate response after 2 months.
Severe renal impairment. Hepatic impairment. Primary biliary cirrhosis. Unexplained persistent liver function abnormalities. Gallbladder disease. Nursing mothers.
The effect on coronary heart disease morbidity and mortality and non-cardiovascular mortality has not been established. Avoid in mild or moderate renal impairment. Monitor CBCs for first year; monitor liver function; discontinue if ALT (SGPT) levels >3xULN persist. Discontinue if markedly elevated CPK levels, myopathy, gallstones, hypersensitivity reactions, or severely depressed HDL-C levels, occur. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
Avoid statins. Potentiates oral anticoagulants (monitor). Allow at least 1 hour before or 4–6 hours after bile acid sequestrants. Caution with colchicine, immunosuppressants (eg, cyclosporine, tacrolimus), other nephrotoxic drugs.
Abnormal liver function tests, elevated CPK, respiratory or GI effects; myopathy, cholelithiasis, pancreatitis, increased serum creatinine, rash; rare: rhabdomyolysis, transient hematologic changes, blood dyscrasias, paradoxical decrease in HDL-C levels, hypersensitivity reactions (may be severe).
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Two Phases of C-Peptide Decline Identified in Type I Diabetes
- Dulaglutide Effective for Patients With T2D, Moderate to Severe CKD
- Incidence of Diabetes Influenced by Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals in the Environment
- Romosozumab: Effective in Men With Osteoporosis
- Guidelines for Management of Hypothalamic-Pituitary, Growth Disorders in Childhood Cancer Survivors
- Using Latent Class Trajectory Analysis to Determine Glucose Response Curve Patterns
- First CGM System With Implantable Glucose Sensor Approved
- Adjunctive Metformin for Insulin Resistance in T1D: A Clinical Perspective
- Risk for Below Knee Amputations With Canagliflozin vs Other Antihyperglycemic Agents
- Empagliflozin, Linagliptin Combination Therapy vs Linagliptin Monotherapy for Type 2 Diabetes
- NT-proBNP May Predict Cardiovascular Outcomes in Type 2 Diabetes
- Placebo Effect of Various Female Sexual Dysfunction Drug Txs Assessed
- Link Between Oral Diabetes Medications and Bullous Pemphigoid
- Calcium Channel Blocker May Benefit Patients With Type 1 Diabetes
- β-Cell Function in Youth With Impaired Glucose Tolerance, T2D