Timolol Maleate Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Timolol (as maleate) 0.25%, 0.5%; oph soln; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Timolol Maleate:
Adults and Children:
<2yrs: not established. ≥2yrs: Initially 1 drop of 0.25% twice daily; max 1 drop of 0.5% twice daily. Transfer from other drugs, see full labeling.
Greater than 1st-degree AV block. Uncompensated cardiac failure. Cardiogenic shock. Sinus bradycardia. History of bronchospasm. Bronchial asthma. Severe COPD. As sole agent in narrow-angle glaucoma. All contact lenses (Timoptic-XE); soft contact lenses (Timoptic and Timoptic-XE).
Poor cardiac reserve should be controlled with digitalis and diuretics. Diabetes. Presbyopia. May mask hypoglycemia or thyrotoxicosis. Myasthenia gravis. Cerebrovascular insufficiency. Measure intraocular pressure after 4 weeks of treatment. Avoid abrupt cessation. Discontinue at 1st sign of cardiac failure and before surgery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
May potentiate systemic β-blockers, reserpine, hypoglycemics and mydriatic effect of topical epinephrine. Additive cardiac and pulmonary effects with anticholinesterase miotics. May antagonize bronchodilation from β-adrenergic agonists. May cause conduction defects with calcium channel blockers, digoxin.
Ocular irritation, sensitization, rash, dizziness, blurred vision, corneal anesthesia, headache, GI upset, paresthesias. Systemic β-blocker effects (bradycardia, arrhythmias, hypotension, bronchospasm, heart failure). Aphakic maculopathy (rare).
Formerly known under the brand name Timoptic.
Soln—contact supplier; Ocudose—60; XE—2.5mL, 5mL
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Update on Vitamin D and Calcium Supplements for Reducing Fracture Risk
- AAP Shares List of 5 Unnecessary Pediatric Tests and Procedures
- Severe Hypoglycemia Associated With Increased Mortality Risk in T2D
- Efficacy of CGM in Preterm Infants of Mothers With Diabetes
- SSRIs and SNRIs Linked to Type 2 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents
- High Grip Strength Associated With Lower Risk for Diabetes-Related AEs
- Statin Use for CVD Prevention Increases Diabetes Risk in Overweight Patients
- Optimal Timing of Gastric Bypass and Cholecystectomy When Both Procedures Clinically Indicated
- Does Asthma Contribute to Infertility?
- Short-Term Probiotics Increase Weight Loss in Overweight, Obesity