Generic Name and Formulations:
Ticarcillin disodium 3g; IM or IV inj; sodium content 5.2–6.5mEq/g.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Ticarcillin:
Susceptible bacterial septicemia, respiratory or urinary tract, skin and soft tissue, gynecologic, intraabdominal infections.
UTI: 1g IM or IV every 6 hours. Systemic: 150–300mg/kg/day IV in divided doses every 4–6 hours. Max IM 2g per inj. In more severe infections use higher doses by IV route.
Neonates <2kg: 75mg/kg every 12 hours until 7 days old, then 75mg/kg every 8 hours. >2kg: 75mg/kg every 8 hours until 7 days old, then 100mg/kg every 8 hours. Others <40kg: UTI: 50–100mg/kg/day IM or IV in divided doses every 6–8 hours. Systemic: 150–300mg/kg/day IV in divided doses every 4–6 hours. >40kg: as adult.
Cephalosporin, imipenem, or other allergy: not recommended. Renal impairment, reduce dose (see literature) and monitor for bleeding disorders. Heart disease. Sodium restricted diets. Monitor serum electrolytes (esp. potassium) and renal, hepatic, hematopoietic function during prolonged therapy. Pregnancy.
Potentiated by probenecid.
Inj site reactions, rash, pruritus, drug fever, GI upset, blood dyscrasias, hemorrhage, hypokalemia, anaphylaxis, CNS stimulation, elevated liver enzymes.
Formerly known under the brand name Ticar.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Efficacy and Safety of Alirocumab in Diabetes Mellitus
- Safety of DPP-IV Inhibitor, Cardiovascular Events After ACS in Type 2 Diabetes
- Sex Hormone Levels May Affect Postmenopausal Heart Disease Risk
- Effect of Fructose, Allulose on Postprandial Glucose Regulation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Transgender Youth Not Willing to Delay Hormone Therapy for Fertility Preservation
- Diabetes Treatments
- Metformin May Decrease Colorectal Cancer Risk Among Males With Diabetes
- SGLT2 Inhibitor, GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Combination Treatment for Type 2 Diabetes: Expert Insights
- Semaglutide May Induce Weight Loss in Type 2 Diabetes Despite BMI
- FDA Clears Omnipod DASH System for Diabetes Management
- Single Blood Sample Highly Predictive for Subsequent Diabetes Diagnosis
- Plasma Methylglyoxal Levels Associated With CVD, Mortality in Type 2 Diabetes
- Adjunctive Metformin for Insulin Resistance in T1D: A Clinical Perspective
- AMA: Federal Government Must Tackle Rising Insulin Prices
- Diabetes Medication Reconciliation May Reduce Risk of ED Visits