Researchers examined the safety and efficacy of daily vs weekly levothyroxine therapy for hypothyroidism in young and middle aged adults.
Synthroid was associated with an 11% lower likelihood of having out-of-range TSH lab values vs generic levothyroxine.
Thyroid cancer screening in asymptomatic adults was given a D recommendation because of the negative effects of screening outweighing any benefits.
Miscarriage risk before 20 weeks of gestation is higher among women with untreated subclinical hypothyroidism.
Data were collected from the Nurses' Health Study I to examine the relationship between BMI and primary hyperparathyroidism risk.
Researchers noted a significant increase in serum vitamin D and significant reductions in TSH following 3 months of vitamin D supplementation.
A patient presented with intentional 10-pound weight loss, suppressed thyroid-stimulating hormone, and increased FT4 and TT3 levels.
Physicians need to be aware of silent thyroiditis as a rare but serious side effect of lithium therapy.
Bone ultrasonography is able to detect tenofovir-induced bone loss in patients with HIV.
Multiple studies at ENDO 2017 highlighted the dangers linked to both environmental toxin and common household chemical exposure.
Patients with government subsidized or self-pay insurance were less likely to undergo thyroidectomy for thyroid cancer.
Increases in papillary thyroid cancer were most common between 1974 and 2013.
Cognitive function was affected even in patients with subclinical hypothyroidism.
Higher levels of free T4 were associated with atrial fibrillation, but TSH and total T3 were not.
Elemental calcium — found in cow's milk — significantly limits a person's ability to absorb oral levothyroxine.
The pocket references and mobile apps will be updated as diagnostic tools and guidelines continue to improve.
Tirosint-SOL (levothyroxine sodium oral solution) should be available within the next 6 months.
The drug's approval was based on 2 successful phase 3 trials.
Updated guidelines include thyroid function testing, iodine nutrition, pregnancy complications, and treatment of thyroid disease during pregnancy and lactation.
Women with subclinical hypothyroidism who undergo thyroid hormone treatment have a decreased risk of pregnancy loss, but may experience other pregnancy-related adverse outcomes.
Younger survivors of thyroid cancer are at increased risk for certain types of health problems later in life.
For patients with unresected anaplastic thyroid carcinoma, overall survival is poor, but radiation therapy dose is associated with improved survival.
Early detection and quick treatment with levothyroxine are essential in treating children with congenital hypothyroidism.
For patients with head and neck cancer receiving radiotherapy, thyroid dysfunction is a dose-related complication, with increased risk for female sex and concurrent chemotherapy.
Researchers have found a correlation between thyroid hormones and prevalence of type 2 diabetes.
Patients with fibromyalgia syndrome have high prevalence of anti-thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) receptor antibody (TRAb).
Subclinicial hypothyroidism has been associated with an increased risk for coronary heart disease events and mortality.
In this week's Handoff, read about the FDA's approval of a new indication for a type 2 diabetes drug, and more.
The revised guidelines for the treatment of hyperthyroidism and thyrotoxicosis from the American Thyroid Association include several important updates pertaining to diagnosis, monitoring, and management.
Widespread routine thyroid cancer screening can lead to overdiagnosis and overtreatment, according to the statement.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Osteoporosis Treatment Approaches in Women vs Men
- Fewer Menstrual Cycles May Lead to Increased Risk for Heart Failure
- Frequent Hot Flashes Worsened Endothelial Function in Younger Midlife Women
- Collaborative Care With Pharmacist Benefits Patients with Type 2 Diabetes
- The Handoff: Your Week in Endocrinology News - 5/26/17
- Liraglutide Plus Metformin Leads to Remission in New-Onset Type 2 Diabetes
- FDA Adds Boxed Warning to Canagliflozin Due To Increased Leg and Foot Amputation Risk
- Comorbid Congestive Heart Failure Linked to Worse Outcomes When Receiving Parenteral Nutrition
- Early Insulin Therapy Improves Type 2 Diabetes Care
- Brain Function Abnormalities With Overweight/Obesity in Type 2 Diabetes
- Long-Term Anabolic-Androgenic Steroid Use Linked to Myocardial Dysfunction and Atherosclerosis
- Dual Experiences in Endometriosis Health Care
- Normal Meal Tolerance Test Effective As Insulin Secretion Test in T2D
- USPSTF: Updated Preeclampsia Screening Recommendations
- Oral Contraceptives May Reduce Fracture Risk