Generic Name and Formulations:
Flecainide acetate 50mg, 100mg+, 150mg+; tabs; +scored.
Medicis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for TAMBOCOR:
Documented, life-threatening ventricular arrhythmias. Paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardias (PSVT), paroxysmal atrial fibrillation/flutter (PAF) in patients without structural heart disease.
Sustained ventricular tachycardia: Initiate in hospital; initially 100mg every 12 hrs; may increase by 50mg twice daily at 4 day intervals; max 400mg/day. PSVT or PAF: 50mg every 12 hrs; may increase by 50mg twice daily at 4 day intervals; max 300mg daily. CrCl ≤35mL/min per 1.73m2: Initially 100mg once daily or 50mg every 12hrs.
<18yrs: not recommended.
2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block or right bundle branch block associated with left hemiblock, unless paced. Chronic atrial fibrillation. Cardiogenic shock. Recent MI.
Verify benefits outweigh risks; see literature. Heart failure or myocardial dysfunction. Sick sinus syndrome. Pacemaker patients. Correct potassium imbalances before use. Severe renal or hepatic impairment, concomitant amiodarone or reduced myocardial function: monitor plasma level. Discontinue if heart block occurs unless paced. Discontinue if liver dysfunction, blood dyscrasias occur. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Increased digoxin toxicity. May potentiate negative inotropic effects of β-blockers. Potentiated by cimetidine. Antagonized by phenytoin, phenobarbital, carbamazepine. Avoid disopyramide, verapamil, nifedipine, diltiazem, other negative inotropics. ½ dose when given with amiodarone.
Class IC antiarrhythmic.
Dizziness, visual disturbances, dyspnea, headache, fatigue, palpitations, chest pain, asthenia, tremor, edema, GI upset, new or exacerbated arrhythmias, heart failure, cardiac arrest, conduction defects.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Imaging Studies in Hypothyroidism Evaluation Linked to Unnecessary Risks
- Insulin Glargine Associated With Breast Cancer Risk in T2D
- Once-Weekly Omarigliptin Improves Glycemic Control in Type 2 Diabetes
- Transoral Endoscopic Thyroidectomy Vestibular Approach: Safety and Outcomes
- High Grip Strength Associated With Lower Risk for Diabetes-Related AEs
- Update on Vitamin D and Calcium Supplements for Reducing Fracture Risk
- Lower Risk for SGLT2i-Associated Genitourinary Infection With DPP-4i
- Severe Hypoglycemia Associated With Increased Mortality Risk in T2D
- Efficacy of CGM in Preterm Infants of Mothers With Diabetes
- Expert Roundtable: AHA Update on Dietary Fat Intake and CVD Risk
- Increased Risk of Diabetes, Post-Diabetes Pneumonia for Patients With COPD
- Pancreatic Exocrine Dysfunction Occurs After Islet Autoimmunity in T1D
- T2D in African American Women Ups ER-negative Breast Cancer Risk
- High-Sensitivity CRP and LDL-C Predictive of Subsequent MACE in T2D
- Risks Associated With Denosumab Discontinuation