Generic Name and Formulations:
Cefixime 400mg; tabs.
Lupin Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for SUPRAX:
Susceptible infections, including pharyngitis, tonsillitis, acute exacerbation of chronic bronchitis; uncomplicated UTIs and cervical or urethral gonorrhea.
400mg once daily or 200mg every 12 hrs. Gonorrhea: 400mg once. Infections due to Streptococcus pyogenes: treat for at least 10 days. Renal impairment: adjust dose; see full labeling.
<6 months: not established. Chew tabs: chew or crush before swallowing. <50kg and 6 months–12yrs: 8mg/kg once daily or 4mg/kg every 12 hrs. >50kg or >12yrs: use adult dose. Otitis media: treat with chew tabs or susp; do not substitute with tabs. Infections due to Streptococcus pyogenes: treat for at least 10 days.
Penicillin or other allergy. Renal impairment. History of GI disease. Chew tabs: phenylketonuria. Labor and delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
May potentiate carbamazepine, anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) (monitor). May cause false (+) Clinitest, direct Coomb's, nitroprusside test for ketones. Potentiated by probenecid.
Diarrhea, nausea, loose stools, abdominal pain, dyspepsia, vomiting, hypersensitivity reactions, headache, dizziness, seizures, transient renal and hepatic effects; C. difficile-associated diarrhea.
Tabs—10, 50, 100; Chew tabs—10, 50; Susp 100mg/5mL—50mL, 75mL, 100mL; 200mg/5mL—25mL, 37.5mL, 50mL, 75mL, 100mL; 500mg/5mL—10mL, 20mL
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Efficacy and Safety of Alirocumab in Diabetes Mellitus
- Safety of DPP-IV Inhibitor, Cardiovascular Events After ACS in Type 2 Diabetes
- Sex Hormone Levels May Affect Postmenopausal Heart Disease Risk
- Effect of Fructose, Allulose on Postprandial Glucose Regulation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Transgender Youth Not Willing to Delay Hormone Therapy for Fertility Preservation
- Diabetes Treatments
- Metformin May Decrease Colorectal Cancer Risk Among Males With Diabetes
- SGLT2 Inhibitor, GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Combination Treatment for Type 2 Diabetes: Expert Insights
- Semaglutide May Induce Weight Loss in Type 2 Diabetes Despite BMI
- FDA Clears Omnipod DASH System for Diabetes Management
- Single Blood Sample Highly Predictive for Subsequent Diabetes Diagnosis
- Plasma Methylglyoxal Levels Associated With CVD, Mortality in Type 2 Diabetes
- Adjunctive Metformin for Insulin Resistance in T1D: A Clinical Perspective
- AMA: Federal Government Must Tackle Rising Insulin Prices
- Diabetes Medication Reconciliation May Reduce Risk of ED Visits