SINEMET CR Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Carbidopa, levodopa; 25-100, 50-200; sust rel tabs.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for SINEMET CR:
≥18yrs: Do not crush or chew. Patients not receiving levodopa: initially one Sinemet CR 50–200 tab twice daily, at intervals of at least 6 hrs. Others: see literature. Allow 3 days between dosage adjustments. If given at intervals <4 hrs and/or divided doses not equal: give smaller doses at end of day. May add immediate-release Sinemet 25–100 or 10–100 in advanced disease.
<18yrs: not recommended.
During or within 14 days of nonselective MAOIs (eg, phenelzine). Narrow-angle glaucoma. Undiagnosed skin lesions. History of melanoma.
Severe cardiovascular or pulmonary disease. Asthma. Renal, hepatic, or endocrine disorders. History of peptic ulcer or MI with residual arrhythmias. Suicidal tendencies. Psychosis. Orthostatic hypotension. Chronic wide-angle glaucoma. Discontinue levodopa at least 12 hrs before starting Sinemet or Sinemet CR. Sinemet CR not bioequivalent to Sinemet; see literature when switching forms. Monitor renal and liver function, intraocular pressure, blood counts. May stain body fluids. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Orthostatic hypotension with selegiline, antihypertensives. Antagonized by phenothiazines, butyrophenones, risperidone, phenytoin, papaverine. Hypertension, dyskinesia with tricyclic antidepressants. May be antagonized by iron, high protein diets. May cause false (+) urinary ketone test or false (–) urinary glucose (glucose oxidase) test.
Dopa-decarboxylase inhibitor + dopamine precursor.
Dyskinesia, GI upset, hallucinations, confusion, psychological disturbances, depression, dizziness, headache, dream abnormalities, dystonia, cardiac arrhythmias, hypotension, dyspnea, on-off phenomenon, back pain, blepharospasm (may indicate excess dosage), hypertension, anticholinergic effects, anorexia, insomnia, leukopenia, renal and liver function disorders, seizures, neuroleptic malignant syndrome.
CR—100, 500; Tabs—100
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Imaging Studies in Hypothyroidism Evaluation Linked to Unnecessary Risks
- Insulin Glargine Associated With Breast Cancer Risk in T2D
- Once-Weekly Omarigliptin Improves Glycemic Control in Type 2 Diabetes
- Transoral Endoscopic Thyroidectomy Vestibular Approach: Safety and Outcomes
- High Grip Strength Associated With Lower Risk for Diabetes-Related AEs
- Update on Vitamin D and Calcium Supplements for Reducing Fracture Risk
- Lower Risk for SGLT2i-Associated Genitourinary Infection With DPP-4i
- Severe Hypoglycemia Associated With Increased Mortality Risk in T2D
- Efficacy of CGM in Preterm Infants of Mothers With Diabetes
- Expert Roundtable: AHA Update on Dietary Fat Intake and CVD Risk
- Increased Risk of Diabetes, Post-Diabetes Pneumonia for Patients With COPD
- Pancreatic Exocrine Dysfunction Occurs After Islet Autoimmunity in T1D
- T2D in African American Women Ups ER-negative Breast Cancer Risk
- High-Sensitivity CRP and LDL-C Predictive of Subsequent MACE in T2D
- Risks Associated With Denosumab Discontinuation