Generic Name and Formulations:
Live, attenuated human G1P rotavirus vaccine; lyophilized pwd for oral administration after reconstitution; preservative-free.
Indications for ROTARIX:
Prevention of rotavirus gastroenteritis caused by G1 and non-G1 types (G3, G4, and G9) in infants and children.
<6 weeks or >24 weeks of age: not recommended. Each oral dose is 1mL. Give 1st dose beginning at 6 weeks of age, 2nd dose at least 4 weeks later; complete 2-dose series by 24th week of age. May give a replacement dose at same vaccination visit if dosing is incomplete or regurgitated.
Uncorrected congenital GI tract malformation (eg, Meckel's diverticulum) (increased risk of intussusception). History of intussusception. Severe combined immunodeficiency disease.
Acute diarrhea or vomiting (delay immunization). Chronic GI disorders. Immunodeficiency or immunosuppressed close contacts (live virus shedding may allow transmission to others). Latex allergy. Pregnancy (Cat.C): not applicable.
May give with concomitant vaccines (eg, DTaP, Hep B, Inactivated Poliovirus Vaccine Combined, Hib conjugate). Immunosuppressants (eg, irradiation, chemotherapy, high-dose steroids): may get suboptimal response.
Fussiness/irritability, cough/runny nose, fever, loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, pneumonia; rare: Kawasaki disease.
Report adverse events to VAERS at (800) 822-7967 and to GlaxoSmithKline at (888) 825-5249.
Vials—10 (w. prefilled diluent in oral applicator)
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Higher BUN May Increase Risk for Incident Diabetes
- Efficacy of Novel GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Drug Device Examined
- Takeout Food May Increase Adverse Health Consequences in Children
- Nonhormonal Options Available for Menopause Symptom Relief
- Plasma Volume Changes Mediate Risk of CV Mortality With Empagliflozin
- New Consensus Recommendations on Use of Continuous Glucose Monitoring
- Does Genetic Susceptibility Lead to Late-Onset Type 1 Diabetes?
- Clinical Outcomes in T2D: Low-Carbohydrate vs Calorie-Restricted Diet
- New Continuous Glucose Monitoring System Now Available for Medicare Patients
- Text Message-Delivered Interventions Effective for Weight Management
- Effect of Intra-Articular Depot Betamethasone on Insulin Resistance in T2D
- Gastric Bypass vs Sleeve Gastrectomy Outcomes in Morbid Obesity
- Acute Kidney Injury Increases Risk for Postdischarge Hypoglycemia in Diabetes
- Novel Deep Learning System May Help Identify Diabetic Retinopathy
- Trends in CVD, Risk Factors, and Medications in Children With T1D