Generic Name and Formulations:
Mirtazapine 15mg+, 30mg+, 45mg, tabs; +scored.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for REMERON:
Major depressive disorder.
Initially 15mg once daily at bedtime; increase at intervals of at least 1–2 weeks; max 45mg/day. SolTab: Dissolve on tongue and swallow with or without water.
During or within 14 days of MAOIs. Concomitant linezolid or IV methylene blue.
Increased risk of suicidal thinking and behavior in children, adolescents and young adults; monitor for clinical worsening or unusual changes. Screen for bipolar disorder. Risk of agranulocytosis; monitor for signs/symptoms of infection. Monitor for serotonin syndrome; discontinue if occurs. Angle-closure glaucoma. Hepatic or moderate-to-severe renal dysfunction. Diseases that affect metabolism or hemodynamic response. History of mania/hypomania. Seizure disorders. History of MI, angina or ischemic stroke. Dehydration. Hypovolemia. Avoid abrupt cessation. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Increased risk of serotonin syndrome with other serotonergic drugs (eg, triptans, tricyclic antidepressants, fentanyl, lithium, tramadol, tryptophan, buspirone, St. John's Wort) or with drugs that impair serotonin metabolism (eg, MAOIs, linezolid, IV methylene blue). Concomitant diazepam: not recommended. Caution with drugs metabolized by and/or that inhibit CYP450. Avoid alcohol. Concomitant warfarin; monitor INR.
Central alpha-2 antagonist.
Somnolence, increased appetite, weight gain, dizziness, nausea, dry mouth, constipation, asthenia; akathisia, hypo- or hypertension, elevated cholesterol, triglycerides, or transaminases; rarely; hyponatremia (esp. elderly), agranulocytosis.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Update on Vitamin D and Calcium Supplements for Reducing Fracture Risk
- AAP Shares List of 5 Unnecessary Pediatric Tests and Procedures
- Lower Risk for SGLT2i-Associated Genitourinary Infection With DPP-4i
- Severe Hypoglycemia Associated With Increased Mortality Risk in T2D
- Efficacy of CGM in Preterm Infants of Mothers With Diabetes
- High Grip Strength Associated With Lower Risk for Diabetes-Related AEs
- Statin Use for CVD Prevention Increases Diabetes Risk in Overweight Patients
- Optimal Timing of Gastric Bypass and Cholecystectomy When Both Procedures Clinically Indicated
- Does Asthma Contribute to Infertility?
- Short-Term Probiotics Increase Weight Loss in Overweight, Obesity