Generic Name and Formulations:
Antihemophilic Factor VIII (recombinant) 250 IU, 500 IU, 1000 IU, 2000 IU; per vial; lyophilized pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution; preservative-free.
Indications for REFACTO:
Prevention and control of hemorrhagic episodes and for surgical prophylaxis in Hemophilia A. Short-term routine prophylaxis to reduce frequency of spontaneous bleeding episodes.
Adults and Children:
Dosage Required (IU) = Body Weight (kg) × Desired % Factor VIII Increase × 0.5. Individualize. Infuse at rate comfortable to patient. Minor hemorrhage: obtain 20–40% FVIII increase; give every 12–24hrs for at least 1 day until resolved. Moderate hemorrhage and tooth extraction: obtain 30–60% FVIII increase; give every 12–24hrs for 3–4 days until adequate hemostasis; for tooth extraction: a single infusion plus oral antifibrinolytic therapy within 1hr may be sufficient. Major hemorrhage: obtain 60–100% FVIII increase; give every 8–24hrs until resolved; or, for surgery, until local hemostasis achieved. Prophylaxis: give ≥2 times weekly; children may need shorter dosage intervals or higher doses.
Mouse or hamster protein sensitivity.
Not for von Willebrand's disease. Confirm Factor VIII deficiency prior to treatment. Monitor for development of Factor VIII inhibitors. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Allergic reactions, headache, fever, chills, flushing, nausea, vomiting, lethargy, pruritus, antibody formation.
Single-use vial—1 (w. diluent, supplies)
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Update on Vitamin D and Calcium Supplements for Reducing Fracture Risk
- AAP Shares List of 5 Unnecessary Pediatric Tests and Procedures
- Severe Hypoglycemia Associated With Increased Mortality Risk in T2D
- Efficacy of CGM in Preterm Infants of Mothers With Diabetes
- SSRIs and SNRIs Linked to Type 2 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents
- High Grip Strength Associated With Lower Risk for Diabetes-Related AEs
- Statin Use for CVD Prevention Increases Diabetes Risk in Overweight Patients
- Optimal Timing of Gastric Bypass and Cholecystectomy When Both Procedures Clinically Indicated
- Does Asthma Contribute to Infertility?
- Short-Term Probiotics Increase Weight Loss in Overweight, Obesity