RAZADYNE ER Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Galantamine (as HBr) 8mg, 16mg, 24mg; ext-rel caps.
Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for RAZADYNE ER:
Mild to moderate Alzheimer's dementia.
Give with AM meal. Initially 8mg/day; if well-tolerated, increase to maintenance dose 16mg/day after minimum of 4 weeks; may attempt further increase to max 24mg/day after minimum of 4 weeks. Re-titrate if interrupted for >3 days. Moderate hepatic or renal impairment (CrCl 9–59mL/min): usual max 16mg/day.
Discontinue at the first sign of skin rash, unless not drug-related; consider alternative therapy if serious skin reactions occur. Conduction disorders (eg, bradycardia, AV block). History of ulcer disease. Bladder outflow obstruction. Asthma. COPD. Seizures. Monitor for active or occult GI bleed, respiratory or neurological effects, and patient's weight. Maintain adequate hydration. Severe hepatic or renal impairment (CrCl <9mL/min): not recommended. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Potentiates neuromuscular blockers (eg, succinylcholine), cholinesterase inhibitors, cholinergic agonists (eg, bethanechol). Antagonizes anticholinergics. Caution with drugs that slow heart rate. May be potentiated by ketoconazole, cimetidine, paroxetine, fluoxetine, erythromycin, possibly others that affect CYP2D6 or CYP3A4. Monitor for GI bleed with NSAIDs.
Reversible acetylcholinesterase inhibitor (benzazepine deriv).
Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, headache, decreased appetite, anorexia, weight loss, syncope, bradycardia, heart block, seizures; serious skin reactions (eg, Stevens-Johnson syndrome).
This product was formerly named Reminyl.
Tabs—60; Soln—100mL (w. cal. pipette); ER caps—30
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Update on Vitamin D and Calcium Supplements for Reducing Fracture Risk
- AAP Shares List of 5 Unnecessary Pediatric Tests and Procedures
- Severe Hypoglycemia Associated With Increased Mortality Risk in T2D
- Efficacy of CGM in Preterm Infants of Mothers With Diabetes
- SSRIs and SNRIs Linked to Type 2 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents
- High Grip Strength Associated With Lower Risk for Diabetes-Related AEs
- Statin Use for CVD Prevention Increases Diabetes Risk in Overweight Patients
- Optimal Timing of Gastric Bypass and Cholecystectomy When Both Procedures Clinically Indicated
- Does Asthma Contribute to Infertility?
- Short-Term Probiotics Increase Weight Loss in Overweight, Obesity