Generic Name and Formulations:
Finasteride 5mg; tabs.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for PROSCAR:
BPH, to improve symptoms and reduce risks of acute urinary retention and need for prostate surgery. To reduce risk of symptomatic progression of BPH, with doxazosin. Limitations of use: not for the prevention of prostate cancer.
5mg once daily. Reevaluate at 6 months, then periodically.
Not for use in children or women. Pregnant women (Cat.X) and those of childbearing potential should avoid handling crushed or broken tabs.
Increased risk of high-grade prostate cancer. Monitor prostate specific antigen (PSA) values; double PSA levels for comparison with normal ranges. Rule out prostate cancer and other urological disorders prior to treatment. Monitor for obstructive uropathy. Hepatic dysfunction.
Type II 5 alpha-reductase inhibitor.
Impotence, decreased libido or ejaculate volume, breast enlargement or tenderness, rash.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Subclinical Hypothyroidism: Controversies in Testing and Treatment
- Favorable Outcomes With Second-Generation Insulin Analogs in Type 2 Diabetes
- Canagliflozin Trial for T2D With CKD Stopped Early Due to Positive Results
- Type 2 Diabetes and Alzheimer Disease: What's the Connection?
- Risk for Hypoglycemia During Titration With Insulin Glargine 100 U/mL in T2D
- Using Latent Class Trajectory Analysis to Determine Glucose Response Curve Patterns
- First CGM System With Implantable Glucose Sensor Approved
- Empagliflozin, Linagliptin Combination Therapy vs Linagliptin Monotherapy for Type 2 Diabetes
- Risk for Below Knee Amputations With Canagliflozin vs Other Antihyperglycemic Agents
- Two Phases of C-Peptide Decline Identified in Type I Diabetes
- Effect of SGLT2 Inhibitors on Heart Failure-Related Hospitalization, Below-Knee Amputation
- Nutraceuticals Containing Equol May Be Effective for Postmenopausal Symptoms
- Conservative Monitoring Strategy for Non-Functioning Pituitary Adenomas Evaluated
- FDA: Some Rx Drugs May Become Available Without Seeing a Doctor
- PM2.5 Contributes to Burden of Diabetes Mellitus Globally