Generic Name and Formulations:
Propylthiouracil 50mg; scored tabs; contains docusate sodium.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Propylthiouracil:
Give in 3 equally divided doses every 8hrs. Initially 300mg/day. Severe conditions: initially 400mg/day; max 900mg/day. Maintenance: 100–150mg/day.
Give in 3 equally divided doses every 8hrs. <6yrs: not recommended. ≥6yrs: initially 50mg/day; may upward titrate based on response, TSH, and free T4 levels.
Should be reserved for those intolerant to methimazole and in whom radioactive iodine therapy or surgery are not appropriate treatments. Risk of severe liver injury and acute liver failure. Monitor for signs of hepatic dysfunction esp. in the 1st 6 months of therapy; discontinue if occur and obtain LFTs and ALT/AST levels. Discontinue if agranulocytosis, aplastic anemia, ANCA-positive vasculitis, hepatitis, interstitial pneumonitis, fever, or exfoliative dermatitis is suspected. Monitor thyroid function periodically, prothrombin time esp. before surgical procedures. Pregnancy (Cat.D). Nursing mothers.
May potentiate anticoagulants. Caution with other drugs that may cause agranulocytosis. May need to reduce doses of beta-blockers, digitalis glycosides, theophylline at euthyroid state.
Rash, urticaria, GI upset, arthralgia, paresthesia, taste loss/perversion, hair loss, myalgia, headache, drowsiness, edema, vertigo, jaundice, blood dycrasias, lupus-like syndrome, drug fever, hepatitis, hypoprothrombinemia.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Higher BUN May Increase Risk for Incident Diabetes
- Efficacy of Novel GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Drug Device Examined
- Takeout Food May Increase Adverse Health Consequences in Children
- Nonhormonal Options Available for Menopause Symptom Relief
- Plasma Volume Changes Mediate Risk of CV Mortality With Empagliflozin
- New Consensus Recommendations on Use of Continuous Glucose Monitoring
- Does Genetic Susceptibility Lead to Late-Onset Type 1 Diabetes?
- Clinical Outcomes in T2D: Low-Carbohydrate vs Calorie-Restricted Diet
- New Continuous Glucose Monitoring System Now Available for Medicare Patients
- Text Message-Delivered Interventions Effective for Weight Management
- Effect of Intra-Articular Depot Betamethasone on Insulin Resistance in T2D
- Gastric Bypass vs Sleeve Gastrectomy Outcomes in Morbid Obesity
- Acute Kidney Injury Increases Risk for Postdischarge Hypoglycemia in Diabetes
- Novel Deep Learning System May Help Identify Diabetic Retinopathy
- Trends in CVD, Risk Factors, and Medications in Children With T1D