Investigators examined the frequency of cardiovascular vs noncardiovascular deaths in individuals who developed prediabetes that did not progress to diabetes.
Patients with prediabetes who experienced intensive blood pressure management had better outcomes with CVD events and all-cause mortality.
Nearly one-third of surveyed PCPs were not familiar with the American Diabetes Association prediabetes guidelines.
Eighty-three veterans with PTSD participated in a study examining biological pathways between PTSD and metabolic diseases.
Low-Carbohydrate vs Low-fat Diet Success In Patients With Prediabetes Differs According to Fasting Insulin LevelsJune 13, 2017
Fasting plasma glucose, insulin, and insulin sensitivity levels were measured to determine their prognostic value as markers for long-term weight loss.
Researchers conducted a subgroup analysis of the SPRINT clinical trial to determine whether intensive blood pressure treatment outcomes were similar in patients with prediabetes vs normal fasting blood glucose levels.
Sitagliptin improved glucose excursion and lowered triglyceride levels in men with prediabetes who were also overweight.
Glucose levels were measured at 30, 60, 90, and 120 minutes after study participants consumed sugary drinks.
Among patients with varying levels of periodontitis, prediabetes or type 2 diabetes diagnoses were common.
Fasting glucose is specific but not sensitive, and HbA1c is neither sensitive nor specific.
Only about half of US family doctors follow guidelines on screening patients for prediabetes, according to a study published in the Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine.
Diabetes, waist circumference, and prediabetes were the main metabolic factors associated with neuropathy.
A majority of adults aged older than 40 would be considered at risk for prediabetes, which could have unintended negative consequences.
Standardized mixed-meal tolerance tests (MMTT) and arginine stimulation tests (AST) provide reproducible measures of beta-cell function across glucose tolerance states.
Data from the 2004 to 2014 National Health Examination Survey suggest that prevalence of diabetes has increased among US adolescents.
Brisk walking may be more effective than jogging in controlling blood glucose levels in patients with prediabetes.
The rate of healthy-weight prediabetes increased from 10.2% to 18.5% from 1988 to 2012.
A change in how patients and physicians view diabetes may is necessary for preventing the disease and its complications.
The treatment was safe and effective for patients with prediabetes or type 2 diabetes and nonalcoholic steatohepatitis.
A 20-year study shows that maintaining cardiorespiratory fitness through adulthood decreases the risk for diabetes and prediabetes.
Study found many patients with higher-than-normal HbA1c levels were not being treated for it.
For patients with prediabetes offered Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) classes, text message support can enhance weight loss.
Vitamin D did not affect glucose homeostasis in patients with abnormal glucose tolerance.
In a prospective study, prediabetes was an independent risk factor for hyperfiltration and increased albuminuria.
A phosphodiesterone 5 inhibitor may improve metabolic parameters that predispose people to developing diabetes.
Researchers noted a decrease in plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 without affecting tissue-plasminogen activator.
In a U.K. cohort, association varied with ethnicity and with prediabetes definition criterion.
Current, former marijuana users more likely to develop prediabetes but not type 2 diabetes.
Many also don't know they are at risk, according to researchers.
Recommendations made based on 53 studies on 66 diet and exercise programs.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Diabetic Retinopathy Risk Not Increased With GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Use in T2D
- Concurrent Risk Factors and Microvascular Complications in Type 1 Diabetes
- Higher Risk for Meningioma Linked to GH Treatment, Radiotherapy During Childhood
- Early Treatment Intensification and Faster Glycemic Control in T2D
- Comparing Antidiabetic Drug Classes for Risk of Heart Failure
- Nutraceuticals May Benefit Patients Who Are Statin Intolerant
- Hypertension Treatments: ARBs
- Semaglutide vs Liraglutide for Weight Loss in Patients With Obesity
- Liraglutide May Lower Risk for Foot Amputation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Thyroid Hormone Levels, Body Composition, Insulin Resistance in Euthyroid Patients
- Cochrane Data Release and the Case for "Open Science"
- Rates of Incident Type 2 Diabetes in Chronic Kidney Disease
- Characteristics of Acquired Partial Lipodystrophy With Metabolic Abnormalities
- Poor Glycemic Control Associated With Higher Risk for Dementia in Older Adults With T1D
- Shift Seen From EDs to Urgent Care for Low-Acuity, Acute Care