Polymyxin B Inj Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Polymyxin B sulfate 500,000units/vial; pwd for IM, intrathecal inj, IV drip or ophthalmic use after reconstitution.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Polymyxin B Inj:
Susceptible infections due to P. aeruginosa including UTIs, meninges, bloodstream, and eye infections. Other serious susceptible infections including H. influenza meningeal, E. coli UTIs, and bacteremia due to A. aerogenes and K. pneumoniae.
Adults and Children:
Infants: up to 40,000units/kg per day IV or IM inj. Adults and children: IV: 15,000–25,000units/kg per day in divided doses every 12 hours; max 25,000units/kg per day. IM: 25,000–30,000units/kg per day in divided doses every 4–6 hours. P. aeruginosa meningitis: Give by intrathecal inj only. <2yrs: 20,000units once daily for 3–4 days or 25,000units once every other day, continue with 25,000units once every other day; >2yrs: 50,000units once daily for 3–4 days, then 50,000units once every other day; both: treat for at least 2 weeks after negative CSF cultures and sugar content normalized. Ophthalmic: see literature. Renal impairment: adjust or reduce dose.
Renal impairment. Monitor renal function before and during therapy; discontinue if nephrotoxicity occurs. Pregnancy: not recommended.
Avoid other neurotoxic and/or nephrotoxic drugs (eg, bacitracin, aminoglycosides, colistin). May potentiate neuromuscular blockade with anesthetics and/or muscle relaxants.
Nephrotoxicity (eg, albuminuria, azotemia, cylindruria), neurotoxicity (eg, flushing, dizziness, paresthesias), meningeal irritation (intrathecal), drug fever, rash, inj site pain, thrombophlebitis; respiratory paralysis (discontinue if occurs).
Formerly known under the brand name Aerosporin.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Single Blood Sample Highly Predictive for Subsequent Diabetes Diagnosis
- Adjunctive Metformin for Insulin Resistance in T1D: A Clinical Perspective
- Effect of Fructose, Allulose on Postprandial Glucose Regulation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Sex Hormone Levels May Affect Postmenopausal Heart Disease Risk
- Transgender Youth Not Willing to Delay Hormone Therapy for Fertility Preservation
- Diabetes Treatments
- Metformin May Decrease Colorectal Cancer Risk Among Males With Diabetes
- SGLT2 Inhibitor, GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Combination Treatment for Type 2 Diabetes: Expert Insights
- Semaglutide May Induce Weight Loss in Type 2 Diabetes Despite BMI
- FDA Clears Omnipod DASH System for Diabetes Management
- CDC: Obesity Prevalence Higher in Non-Metropolitan Counties
- Vascular Mortality Declining in Adults With Diabetes in the United States
- CVS Pharmacy Launches Prescription Delivery Service Nationwide
- Led by AG Sessions, DOJ Declines to Defend ACA Against Federal Lawsuit
- Kidney Function Decline Occurs Nearly Twice as Fast in Diabetes