PENTAM 300 Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Pentamidine isethionate 300mg/vial; lyophilized pwd for IM or IV inj after reconstitution.
Fresenius Kabi USA
Indications for PENTAM 300:
Pneumonia due to Pneumocystis carinii.
Adults and Children:
<4months: not recommended. Give by deep IM or IV inj. If administered by IV, must infused over 60–120 minutes. ≥4months: 4mg/kg once daily for 14–21 days. Therapy >21 days has been used; but may increase toxicity risk.
Hyper- or hypotension. Ventricular tachycardia. Hypo- or hyperglycemia. Hypocalcemia. Pancreatitis. Leukopenia. Thrombocytopenia. Anemia. Hepatic or renal dysfunction. Stevens-Johnson syndrome. Monitor BP, BUN, serum creatinine, blood glucose, CBC and platelets, liver function (eg, serum bilirubin, alkaline phosphatase, AST/ALT), serum calcium, ECG. Avoid extravasation. Have resuscitation equipment available. Pregnancy (Cat.C; avoid). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Additive effects with concomitant other nephrotoxic drugs (eg, aminoglycosides, amphotericin B, cisplatin, foscarnet, vancomycin); monitor closely or avoid if possible.
Inj site reactions, severe hypotension, hypoglycemia, diabetes, acute pancreatitis, cardiac arrhythmias, nephrotoxic events (eg, renal dysfunction, elevated serum creatinine, azotemia, renal failure), leukopenia, elevated liver functions tests, anorexia/nausea, rash, pruritus.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Efficacy and Safety of Alirocumab in Diabetes Mellitus
- Safety of DPP-IV Inhibitor, Cardiovascular Events After ACS in Type 2 Diabetes
- Sex Hormone Levels May Affect Postmenopausal Heart Disease Risk
- Effect of Fructose, Allulose on Postprandial Glucose Regulation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Transgender Youth Not Willing to Delay Hormone Therapy for Fertility Preservation
- Diabetes Treatments
- Metformin May Decrease Colorectal Cancer Risk Among Males With Diabetes
- SGLT2 Inhibitor, GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Combination Treatment for Type 2 Diabetes: Expert Insights
- Semaglutide May Induce Weight Loss in Type 2 Diabetes Despite BMI
- FDA Clears Omnipod DASH System for Diabetes Management
- Single Blood Sample Highly Predictive for Subsequent Diabetes Diagnosis
- Plasma Methylglyoxal Levels Associated With CVD, Mortality in Type 2 Diabetes
- Adjunctive Metformin for Insulin Resistance in T1D: A Clinical Perspective
- AMA: Federal Government Must Tackle Rising Insulin Prices
- Diabetes Medication Reconciliation May Reduce Risk of ED Visits