Generic Name and Formulations:
Ethotoin 250mg; tabs.
Recordati Rare Diseases, Inc.
Indications for PEGANONE:
For the control of tonic-clonic (grand mal) and complex partial (psychomotor) seizures.
Take after food. Individualize. Give in 4 to 6 divided doses daily. Initially 1g or less daily, with subsequent gradual dose increases over a period of several days. Usual maintenance: 2–3g daily.
<1yr: not recommended. ≥1yr: Take after food. Individualize. Give in 4 to 6 divided doses daily. Initial max 750mg daily. Usual maintenance: 500mg–1g daily, although occasionally 2g or (rarely) 3g daily may be necessary. Concomitant other antiepileptic: reduce dose while increasing Peganone dose.
Hepatic abnormalities. Hematologic disorders.
Monitor for emergence of depression, suicidal thoughts/behavior, and/or unusual changes in mood/behavior. Hepatic dysfunction: perform LFTs; discontinue if liver damage occurs. Monitor blood counts, urinalysis when therapy is begun and at monthly intervals for several months thereafter. Pregnancy (Cat. D; avoid). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with coumarin anticoagulants; monitor.
GI upset, chest pain, nystagmus, diplopia, fever, dizziness, headache, insomnia, fatigue, numbness, rash, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, blood dyscrasias, ataxia, gum hypertrophy, lymphadenopathy (withdraw if occurs), systemic lupus erythematosus.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Subclinical Hypothyroidism: Controversies in Testing and Treatment
- Canagliflozin Trial for T2D With CKD Stopped Early Due to Positive Results
- Favorable Outcomes With Second-Generation Insulin Analogs in Type 2 Diabetes
- Type 2 Diabetes and Alzheimer Disease: What's the Connection?
- Risk for Hypoglycemia During Titration With Insulin Glargine 100 U/mL in T2D
- Using Latent Class Trajectory Analysis to Determine Glucose Response Curve Patterns
- First CGM System With Implantable Glucose Sensor Approved
- Empagliflozin, Linagliptin Combination Therapy vs Linagliptin Monotherapy for Type 2 Diabetes
- Risk for Below Knee Amputations With Canagliflozin vs Other Antihyperglycemic Agents
- Two Phases of C-Peptide Decline Identified in Type I Diabetes
- Effect of SGLT2 Inhibitors on Heart Failure-Related Hospitalization, Below-Knee Amputation
- Nutraceuticals Containing Equol May Be Effective for Postmenopausal Symptoms
- Conservative Monitoring Strategy for Non-Functioning Pituitary Adenomas Evaluated
- FDA: Some Rx Drugs May Become Available Without Seeing a Doctor
- PM2.5 Contributes to Burden of Diabetes Mellitus Globally