Generic Name and Formulations:
Hemin 350mg; per vial; pwd for IV infusion (7mg of hematin/mL after reconstitution); contains sodium carbonate 240mg, sorbitol 335mg; preservative-free.
Recordati Rare Diseases, Inc.
Indications for PANHEMATIN:
Amelioration of recurrent attacks of acute intermittent porphyria temporally related to the menstrual cycle in susceptible women, after initial carbohydrate therapy is known or suspected to be inadequate.
Limitations Of use:
Intended to prevent an attack from reaching the critical stage of neuronal degeneration. Not effective in repairing neuronal damage.
Consider carbohydrate loading (eg, 400g glucose/day for 1–2 days) before initiation. If improvement unsatisfactory, give 1–4mg/kg/day of hematin via IV infusion over at least 30mins for 3–14 days. In more severe cases, this dose may be repeated no earlier than every 12hrs. Max 6mg/kg of hematin per 24hrs.
<16yrs: not established.
Administer into large arm vein or a central venous catheter to avoid phlebitis. Contains human plasma; monitor for possible infection transmission (eg, viruses, Creutzfeldt-Jacob disease agent). Monitor iron and serum ferritin in multiple administrations. Latex allergy. Pregnancy (avoid in severe pre-eclampsia). Nursing mothers.
Avoid CYP-inducing drugs that increase the activity of δ-aminolevulinic acid synthetase (eg, estrogens, barbituric acid derivatives, steroid metabolites). Avoid concomitant anticoagulants.
Delta-aminolevulinic acid synthetase inhibitor.
Headache, pyrexia, infusion site reactions, phlebitis.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Update on Vitamin D and Calcium Supplements for Reducing Fracture Risk
- AAP Shares List of 5 Unnecessary Pediatric Tests and Procedures
- Lower Risk for SGLT2i-Associated Genitourinary Infection With DPP-4i
- Severe Hypoglycemia Associated With Increased Mortality Risk in T2D
- Efficacy of CGM in Preterm Infants of Mothers With Diabetes
- High Grip Strength Associated With Lower Risk for Diabetes-Related AEs
- Statin Use for CVD Prevention Increases Diabetes Risk in Overweight Patients
- Optimal Timing of Gastric Bypass and Cholecystectomy When Both Procedures Clinically Indicated
- Does Asthma Contribute to Infertility?
- Short-Term Probiotics Increase Weight Loss in Overweight, Obesity