An update to the 2008 ACP osteoporosis treatment guidelines focuses on treating low bone density and osteoporosis in an effort to prevent fractures.
Tuberculosis was identified as an independent risk factor associated with incident osteoporosis.
Eighty-four percent of survey respondents did not undergo osteoporosis pharmacotherapy following an osteoporosis-related fracture.
Tymlos approval was based on the results of the ACTIVE and ACTIVExtension trials.
The most common adverse events associated with long-term denosumab use were back, musculoskeletal, or extremity pain, hypercholesterolemia, and cystis.
The most important predictor for use of osteoporosis care was receiving primary care services within 6 months following hip fracture.
Researchers compared the efficacy of dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry with lateral x-ray in assessing vertebral fractures.
Fragility fracture risk increased with older age and decreased with higher bone mineral density in patients with type 1 diabetes.
Using dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry for bone age assessment complements traditional radiologic assessment.
Researchers evaluated trabecular bone scores in more than 100 women during either "legs up" or "legs down" dual energy x-ray absorptiometry scans.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Maternal Deaths in the United States: Sounding a Call to Action
- Pooled Analysis Demonstrates Safety, Tolerability of Empagliflozin
- Serum Cholesterol Levels Over Time and Risk of Parkinson's Disease
- Prolonged Delayed Eating Linked to Weight Gain, Increased Respiratory Quotient
- The Handoff: Your Week in Endocrinology News - 6/16/17
- Reduced Cardiovascular Events in Type 2 Diabetes Treated With Dapagliflozin
- Canagliflozin Reduces Cardiovascular Stress In Older Patients With Type 2 Diabetes
- Diabetic Retinopathy Caused by Sleep Apnea in T2D
- Transition-of-Care Algorithm Performs Well in Surgery Patients With Type 2 Diabetes
- GLP-1 Analog Counteracts Antipsychotic-Induced Glucose Intolerance, Weight Gain
- The Handoff: Your Week in Endocrinology News - 6/23/17
- Gestational Weight Gain Linked to Adverse Outcomes
- Worldwide Obesity Prevalence: BMI On The Rise in 70 Countries
- Grand Rounds Discussion: What Is The Role of Weight Loss Surgery in Obesity?
- Semaglutide Improved Beta-Cell Function and Glycemic Control in Type 2 Diabetes