Generic Name and Formulations:
Sodium phosphate (as monobasic monohydrate and dibasic anhydrous) 1.5g; tabs; gluten-free.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for OSMOPREP:
Bowel cleansing prior to colonoscopy.
≥18yrs: Evening before colonoscopy: 4 tabs with 8oz of clear liq every 15 mins for a total of 20 tabs; repeat on day of colonoscopy 3–5 hrs before procedure for a total of 12 tabs. Wait 7 days before retreating.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Biopsy-proven acute phosphate nephropathy.
Elderly, hypovolemia, increased bowel transit time, active colitis, baseline kidney disease: increased risk of acute phosphate nephropathy. Severe renal insufficiency (CrCl<30mL/min). Impaired renal function. History of acute phosphate nephropathy. CHF. Unstable angina. Arrhythmias (consider pre-dose and post-colonoscopy ECGs). History of cardiomyopathy. Prolonged QT. Recent MI. Ascites. Gastric retention. Ileus or acute obstruction or pseudo-obstruction. Gastric bypass or stapling surgery. Severe chronic constipation. Bowel perforation. Toxic megacolon. Hypomotility syndrome. Inflammatory bowel disease. Correct electrolyte abnormalities before use. Consider doing baseline and post-colonoscopy labs in patients at increased risk. History or risk of seizures. Maintain adequate hydration. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
Avoid concomitant purgative agents (esp. sodium phosphate). Caution with drugs that prolong QT interval, affect electrolytes or renal function (eg, diuretics, ACEIs, ARBs, NSAIDs), or lower seizure threshold. May reduce drug absorption.
Abdominal bloating/pain, nausea, vomiting, electrolyte imbalances, dizziness, headache; rare: renal failure, acute phosphate nephropathy, nephrocalcinosis.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Higher BUN May Increase Risk for Incident Diabetes
- Efficacy of Novel GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Drug Device Examined
- Takeout Food May Increase Adverse Health Consequences in Children
- Nonhormonal Options Available for Menopause Symptom Relief
- Plasma Volume Changes Mediate Risk of CV Mortality With Empagliflozin
- New Consensus Recommendations on Use of Continuous Glucose Monitoring
- Does Genetic Susceptibility Lead to Late-Onset Type 1 Diabetes?
- Clinical Outcomes in T2D: Low-Carbohydrate vs Calorie-Restricted Diet
- New Continuous Glucose Monitoring System Now Available for Medicare Patients
- Text Message-Delivered Interventions Effective for Weight Management
- Effect of Intra-Articular Depot Betamethasone on Insulin Resistance in T2D
- Gastric Bypass vs Sleeve Gastrectomy Outcomes in Morbid Obesity
- Acute Kidney Injury Increases Risk for Postdischarge Hypoglycemia in Diabetes
- Novel Deep Learning System May Help Identify Diabetic Retinopathy
- Trends in CVD, Risk Factors, and Medications in Children With T1D