Generic Name and Formulations:
Sodium phosphate (as monobasic monohydrate and dibasic anhydrous) 1.5g; tabs; gluten-free.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for OSMOPREP:
Bowel cleansing prior to colonoscopy.
≥18yrs: Evening before colonoscopy: 4 tabs with 8oz of clear liq every 15 mins for a total of 20 tabs; repeat on day of colonoscopy 3–5 hrs before procedure for a total of 12 tabs. Wait 7 days before retreating.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Biopsy-proven acute phosphate nephropathy.
Renal disease and acute phosphate nephropathy.
Elderly, hypovolemia, increased bowel transit time, active colitis, baseline kidney disease: increased risk of acute phosphate nephropathy. Severe renal insufficiency (CrCl<30mL/min). Impaired renal function. History of acute phosphate nephropathy. CHF. Unstable angina. Arrhythmias (consider pre-dose and post-colonoscopy ECGs). History of cardiomyopathy. Prolonged QT. Recent MI. Ascites. Gastric retention. Ileus or acute obstruction or pseudo-obstruction. Gastric bypass or stapling surgery. Severe chronic constipation. Bowel perforation. Toxic megacolon. Hypomotility syndrome. Inflammatory bowel disease. Correct electrolyte abnormalities before use. Consider doing baseline and post-colonoscopy labs in patients at increased risk. History or risk of seizures. Maintain adequate hydration. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
Avoid concomitant purgative agents (esp. sodium phosphate). Caution with drugs that prolong QT interval, affect electrolytes or renal function (eg, diuretics, ACEIs, ARBs, NSAIDs), or lower seizure threshold. May reduce drug absorption.
Abdominal bloating/pain, nausea, vomiting, electrolyte imbalances, dizziness, headache; rare: renal failure, acute phosphate nephropathy, nephrocalcinosis.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Subclinical Hypothyroidism: Controversies in Testing and Treatment
- Canagliflozin Trial for T2D With CKD Stopped Early Due to Positive Results
- Favorable Outcomes With Second-Generation Insulin Analogs in Type 2 Diabetes
- Type 2 Diabetes and Alzheimer Disease: What's the Connection?
- Risk for Hypoglycemia During Titration With Insulin Glargine 100 U/mL in T2D
- Using Latent Class Trajectory Analysis to Determine Glucose Response Curve Patterns
- First CGM System With Implantable Glucose Sensor Approved
- Empagliflozin, Linagliptin Combination Therapy vs Linagliptin Monotherapy for Type 2 Diabetes
- Risk for Below Knee Amputations With Canagliflozin vs Other Antihyperglycemic Agents
- Two Phases of C-Peptide Decline Identified in Type I Diabetes
- Effect of SGLT2 Inhibitors on Heart Failure-Related Hospitalization, Below-Knee Amputation
- Nutraceuticals Containing Equol May Be Effective for Postmenopausal Symptoms
- Conservative Monitoring Strategy for Non-Functioning Pituitary Adenomas Evaluated
- FDA: Some Rx Drugs May Become Available Without Seeing a Doctor
- PM2.5 Contributes to Burden of Diabetes Mellitus Globally