Generic Name and Formulations:
Ciclesonide 50mcg/spray; aqueous nasal spray.
Indications for OMNARIS:
Treatment of seasonal allergic rhinitis in patients ≥6yrs old and perennial allergic rhinitis in patients ≥12yrs old.
2 sprays in each nostril once daily (200mcg/day).
Seasonal allergic rhinitis: <6yrs: not recommended. ≥6yrs: 2 sprays in each nostril once daily (200mcg/day).
Avoid use in patients with recent nasal ulcers/surgery/trauma until healed. Potential worsening of active tuberculosis; fungal, bacterial, viral, or parasitic infections, or ocular herpes simplex. If exposed to measles or chickenpox, consider immunoglobulin prophylactic therapy. If adrenal suppression exists following systemic corticosteroid therapy, replacement with topical steroids may exacerbate symptoms of adrenal insufficiency. Monitor for hypercorticism and HPA axis suppression (if occur discontinue slowly), and for candida infection and other nasal mucosal changes. Monitor for vision changes or with history of increased intraocular pressure, glaucoma and/or cataracts. Monitor for growth suppression in children. Avoid spraying eyes, or directly onto the nasal septum. Reevaluate if no improvement after 2 weeks (for seasonal allergic rhinitis) and 5 weeks (for perennial allergic rhinitis). Pregnancy (Cat. C). Nursing mothers.
May be potentiated by ketoconazole.
Headache, epistaxis, nasopharyngitis, ear pain, pharyngolaryngeal pain.
Nasal spray (pump)—12.5g (120 sprays)
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Higher BUN May Increase Risk for Incident Diabetes
- Efficacy of Novel GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Drug Device Examined
- Takeout Food May Increase Adverse Health Consequences in Children
- Nonhormonal Options Available for Menopause Symptom Relief
- Plasma Volume Changes Mediate Risk of CV Mortality With Empagliflozin
- New Consensus Recommendations on Use of Continuous Glucose Monitoring
- Does Genetic Susceptibility Lead to Late-Onset Type 1 Diabetes?
- Clinical Outcomes in T2D: Low-Carbohydrate vs Calorie-Restricted Diet
- New Continuous Glucose Monitoring System Now Available for Medicare Patients
- Text Message-Delivered Interventions Effective for Weight Management
- Effect of Intra-Articular Depot Betamethasone on Insulin Resistance in T2D
- Gastric Bypass vs Sleeve Gastrectomy Outcomes in Morbid Obesity
- Acute Kidney Injury Increases Risk for Postdischarge Hypoglycemia in Diabetes
- Novel Deep Learning System May Help Identify Diabetic Retinopathy
- Trends in CVD, Risk Factors, and Medications in Children With T1D