Generic Name and Formulations:
Pimavanserin 17mg; tabs.
Indications for NUPLAZID:
Treatment of hallucinations and delusions associated with Parkinson's disease (PD) psychosis.
34mg (taken as two 17mg tablets) once daily without titration. Concomitant strong CYP3A4 inhibitors: 17mg once daily. Concomitant strong CYP3A4 inducers: monitor and dose increase may be needed.
Elderly with dementia-related psychosis: increased risk of death. Not for treating patients with dementia-related psychosis unrelated to the hallucinations/delusions associated with PD psychosis. Avoid in patients with known or congenital QT prolongation, history of cardiac arrhythmias, symptomatic bradycardia, hypokalemia, or hypomagnesemia. Severe renal impairment (CrCl <30mL/min), ESRD. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by strong CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, itraconazole, ketoconazole, clarithromycin, indinavir); see Adults. Antagonized by strong CYP3A4 inducers (eg, rifampin, carbamazepine, phenytoin, St. John's wort). Avoid concomitant drugs known to prolong QT interval including Class 1A (eg, quinidine, procainamide, disopyramide) or Class 3 antiarrhythmics (eg, amiodarone, sotalol), certain antipsychotics (eg, ziprasidone, chlorpromazine, thioridazine), and certain antibiotics (eg, gatifloxacin, moxifloxacin).
Peripheral edema, confusional state, nausea, hallucination, constipation, gait disturbance.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Use of In-Hospital Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion: A Consensus Statement
- Better Control With DPP-4 Inhibitors vs NPH Insulin in Type 2 Diabetes
- Achieving Glycemic Control in T2D After Basal Insulin Initiation
- Osteoporosis Drug Shows Cardioprotective Potential at 10-Year Follow-Up
- Effects of the Two Types of Anorexia Nervosa on Bone Metabolism
- Diabetes Treatments
- Incretins, Thiazolidinediones Associated With Better Glycemic Control in T2D
- No Link Between HbA1c Levels and Wound Healing in Patients With Diabetic Foot Ulcers
- Risk for Fetal Loss Early in Pregnancy Not Greater With Noninsulin vs Insulin Therapy
- Risk for Iodine Deficiency and Hypothyroidism High in Children on Parenteral Nutrition
- Inverse Association Between Serum 25(OH)D Levels and Risk for Diabetes
- Glycemic Control Variations for Children, Adolescents With T1D in High-Income Countries
- Late-Life Mobility Limitations Linked to Obesity After Arthroplasty for OA in Women
- Fracture Risk Should Be Monitored in Bisphosphonate Drug Holiday
- Provider Counseling for Weight Loss Up for Arthritis, Overweight