Nimodipine Capsules Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Nimodipine 30mg; soft-gel caps.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Nimodipine Capsules:
To improve neurological outcome of subarachnoid hemorrhage from ruptured intracranial berry aneurysms, regardless of post-ictus neurological condition.
Take on empty stomach. 60mg every 4 hours for 21 consecutive days. Start within 96 hours of subarachnoid hemorrhage. If oral therapy is not feasible, may extract capsule contents into a syringe and give via in situ NG tube, then flush tube with normal saline. Hepatic impairment: 30mg every 4 hours; monitor.
Not for IV or other parenteral administration (may be fatal). Hepatic impairment. Monitor BP, heart rate. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Calcium channel blocker (CCB).
May potentiate other calcium channel blockers. Potentiated by cimetidine.
Decreased blood pressure, GI upset, headache, bradycardia, flushing, edema, rash; rare: intestinal pseudo-obstruction and ileus.
Formerly known under the brand name Nimotop.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Subclinical Hypothyroidism: Controversies in Testing and Treatment
- Favorable Outcomes With Second-Generation Insulin Analogs in Type 2 Diabetes
- Treatment With Alemtuzumab May Frequently Induce Thyroid Dysfunction
- Type 2 Diabetes and Alzheimer Disease: What's the Connection?
- NT-proBNP May Predict Cardiovascular Outcomes in Type 2 Diabetes
- Using Latent Class Trajectory Analysis to Determine Glucose Response Curve Patterns
- First CGM System With Implantable Glucose Sensor Approved
- Empagliflozin, Linagliptin Combination Therapy vs Linagliptin Monotherapy for Type 2 Diabetes
- Risk for Below Knee Amputations With Canagliflozin vs Other Antihyperglycemic Agents
- Two Phases of C-Peptide Decline Identified in Type I Diabetes
- Effect of SGLT2 Inhibitors on Heart Failure-Related Hospitalization, Below-Knee Amputation
- Nutraceuticals Containing Equol May Be Effective for Postmenopausal Symptoms
- Conservative Monitoring Strategy for Non-Functioning Pituitary Adenomas Evaluated
- FDA: Some Rx Drugs May Become Available Without Seeing a Doctor
- PM2.5 Contributes to Burden of Diabetes Mellitus Globally