NICOTROL NS Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Nicotine 0.5mg/spray; aqueous nasal spray.
McNeil Consumer Healthcare
Indications for NICOTROL NS:
Adjunct in smoking cessation therapy.
Do not sniff, swallow, or inhale. Individualize. Usually 1–2 doses/hour; max 5 doses/hour, 40 doses/day for up to 3 months; may discontinue abruptly or taper.
Concurrent smoking or other nicotine products.
Avoid immediately post-MI, in arrhythmias, or severe or worsening angina pectoris. Hypertension. Vasospastic or coronary heart disease. Hepatic or severe renal impairment. Hyperthyroidism. Pheochromocytoma. Diabetes. Peptic ulcer disease. Elderly. Low doses may be toxic to children and pets. Nasal Spray not recommended in chronic nasal disorders. Pregnancy (Cat.D), labor & delivery: not recommended (attempt nondrug treatment first). Nursing mothers.
Nasal Spray antagonized by nasal vasoconstrictors. Smoking cessation potentiates theophylline, insulin, β-blockers, pentazocine, oxazepam, tricyclic antidepressants (eg, imipramine), caffeine, acetaminophen, adrenergic antagonists (eg, prazosin, labetalol), others. Smoking cessation antagonizes adrenergic agonists (eg, isoproterenol, phenylephrine), others.
Local irritation, GI upset, headache, dizziness, palpitations, hypertension.
Inhaler 42 cartridges—1 (w. inhaler and case); Nasal Spray 10mL (200 sprays)—1 (w. metered spray pump)
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Single Blood Sample Highly Predictive for Subsequent Diabetes Diagnosis
- Adjunctive Metformin for Insulin Resistance in T1D: A Clinical Perspective
- Effect of Fructose, Allulose on Postprandial Glucose Regulation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Sex Hormone Levels May Affect Postmenopausal Heart Disease Risk
- Menopausal Hormone Therapy Slows Cognitive Decline in Postmenopausal Women
- Diabetes Treatments
- Metformin May Decrease Colorectal Cancer Risk Among Males With Diabetes
- SGLT2 Inhibitor, GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Combination Treatment for Type 2 Diabetes: Expert Insights
- Semaglutide May Induce Weight Loss in Type 2 Diabetes Despite BMI
- FDA Clears Omnipod DASH System for Diabetes Management
- Effect of Infant Feeding Practices and Gut Microbiota on Overweight in First Year
- Empagliflozin, Linagliptin Combination Therapy vs Linagliptin Monotherapy for Type 2 Diabetes
- Cleared Blood Glucose Monitor Systems Not Always Accurate
- CDC: Obesity Prevalence Higher in Non-Metropolitan Counties
- Vascular Mortality Declining in Adults With Diabetes in the United States