Acromegaly is a serious endocrine condition resulting from an excess of growth hormone (GH) in the blood. GH is released by the pituitary gland and is carried through the rest of the body where it has specific effects.
The presence of a pituitary tumor on magnetic resonance imaging confirmed the diagnostic hypothesis.
The FDA has approved the FlexPro PenMate is intended for users of Norditropin, which is indicated for patients with growth hormone-related disorders, who prefer hidden needles during injection.
Results show increased hospital charges, costs and length of stay for patients treated by lower-volume surgeons.
Copeptin represents a novel, early marker for postoperative diabetes insipidus after pituitary surgery.
The FDA has approved pasireotide (Signifor long-acting release) for treatment of acromegaly.
The Endocrine Society has issued a clinical practice guideline for the diagnosis and treatment of acromegaly.
Cardiovascular morbidity and mortality may be increased in people with higher values of fasting growth hormone.
Patients with growth hormone deficiency reaped significant benefits in quality of live over the long term.
Proton irradiation is an effective treatment for functional pituitary adenomas, and hypopituitarism remains the primary adverse effect.
In patients with acromegaly, ATL1103 significantly reduced serum insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-1) after 14 weeks of treatment.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Maternal Deaths in the United States: Sounding a Call to Action
- Pooled Analysis Demonstrates Safety, Tolerability of Empagliflozin
- Serum Cholesterol Levels Over Time and Risk of Parkinson's Disease
- Prolonged Delayed Eating Linked to Weight Gain, Increased Respiratory Quotient
- The Handoff: Your Week in Endocrinology News - 6/16/17
- Reduced Cardiovascular Events in Type 2 Diabetes Treated With Dapagliflozin
- Canagliflozin Reduces Cardiovascular Stress In Older Patients With Type 2 Diabetes
- Diabetic Retinopathy Caused by Sleep Apnea in T2D
- Transition-of-Care Algorithm Performs Well in Surgery Patients With Type 2 Diabetes
- GLP-1 Analog Counteracts Antipsychotic-Induced Glucose Intolerance, Weight Gain
- The Handoff: Your Week in Endocrinology News - 6/23/17
- Gestational Weight Gain Linked to Adverse Outcomes
- Worldwide Obesity Prevalence: BMI On The Rise in 70 Countries
- Grand Rounds Discussion: What Is The Role of Weight Loss Surgery in Obesity?
- Semaglutide Improved Beta-Cell Function and Glycemic Control in Type 2 Diabetes