Naphazoline HCl Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Naphazoline HCl 1mg (0.1%); oph soln; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Indications for Naphazoline HCl:
For use as a topical ocular vasoconstrictor.
Adults and Children:
Instill 1 or 2 drops in the conjunctival sac(s) every 3–4hrs as needed.
Anatomically narrow angle or in narrow-angle glaucoma.
Hypertension. Cardiovascular abnormalities. Diabetes. Hyperthyroidism. Infection. Injury. Children (esp. infants): may result in CNS depression leading to coma and marked reduction in body temperature. Discontinue if no relief obtained within 48hrs of therapy, if irritation, blurring or redness persists or increases, or if symptoms of systemic absorption occur. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant maprotiline or tricyclic antidepressants may potentiate pressor effect. Severe hypertensive crisis possible with concomitant MAOIs.
Sympathomimetic (imidazoline derivative).
Ocular (eg, mydriasis, increased redness, irritation, discomfort, blurring, punctate keratitis, lacrimation, increased intraocular pressure); systemic (eg, dizziness, headache, nausea, sweating, nervousness, drowsiness, weakness, hypertension, cardiac irregularities, hyperglycemia).
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Single Blood Sample Highly Predictive for Subsequent Diabetes Diagnosis
- Adjunctive Metformin for Insulin Resistance in T1D: A Clinical Perspective
- Effect of Fructose, Allulose on Postprandial Glucose Regulation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Sex Hormone Levels May Affect Postmenopausal Heart Disease Risk
- Menopausal Hormone Therapy Slows Cognitive Decline in Postmenopausal Women
- Diabetes Treatments
- Metformin May Decrease Colorectal Cancer Risk Among Males With Diabetes
- SGLT2 Inhibitor, GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Combination Treatment for Type 2 Diabetes: Expert Insights
- Semaglutide May Induce Weight Loss in Type 2 Diabetes Despite BMI
- FDA Clears Omnipod DASH System for Diabetes Management
- Effect of Infant Feeding Practices and Gut Microbiota on Overweight in First Year
- Empagliflozin, Linagliptin Combination Therapy vs Linagliptin Monotherapy for Type 2 Diabetes
- Cleared Blood Glucose Monitor Systems Not Always Accurate
- CDC: Obesity Prevalence Higher in Non-Metropolitan Counties
- Vascular Mortality Declining in Adults With Diabetes in the United States