Nafcillin Inj Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Nafcillin sodium 1g/vial, 2g/vial, 10g/vial; pwd for deep IM inj after reconstitution, IV inj or IV drip after reconstitution and dilution.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Nafcillin Inj:
Susceptible infections due to penicillinase-producing staphylococci.
Give by deep IM gluteal inj, or IV inj over 5–10 mins, or short-term IV drip for 24–48 hours. IM: 500mg every 4–6 hours. IV: 500mg every 4 hours. Severe infections: 1g IM or IV every 4 hours; treat for at least 14 days, then continue for at least 48 hours after becoming afebrile, asymptomatic, or (–) cultures. Endocarditis or osteomyelitis: may need longer therapy; see literature. Switch to oral therapy as soon as clinically indicated.
Give by deep IM gluteal inj only. Neonates: 10mg/kg twice daily. Infants and children <40kg: 25mg/kg twice daily.
Cephalosporin or other allergy: not recommended. Asthma. Renal impairment: consider dose reduction. Do CBCs, BUN, urinalysis, creatinine levels prior to and weekly during therapy. Monitor renal, hepatic and hematopoietic function in prolonged use. Elderly (esp. IV route). Newborns (monitor). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
May be antagonized by tetracycline; avoid. Potentiated by probenecid.
Inj site reactions, rash, serum sickness, GI upset, anaphylaxis, neuropathy, nephropathy, blood dyscrasias.
Formerly known under the brand names Nallpen, Unipen.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Update on Vitamin D and Calcium Supplements for Reducing Fracture Risk
- AAP Shares List of 5 Unnecessary Pediatric Tests and Procedures
- Severe Hypoglycemia Associated With Increased Mortality Risk in T2D
- Efficacy of CGM in Preterm Infants of Mothers With Diabetes
- SSRIs and SNRIs Linked to Type 2 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents
- High Grip Strength Associated With Lower Risk for Diabetes-Related AEs
- Statin Use for CVD Prevention Increases Diabetes Risk in Overweight Patients
- Optimal Timing of Gastric Bypass and Cholecystectomy When Both Procedures Clinically Indicated
- Does Asthma Contribute to Infertility?
- Short-Term Probiotics Increase Weight Loss in Overweight, Obesity