Generic Name and Formulations:
Dihydroergotamine mesylate 4mg/mL (0.5mg/spray); nasal spray; contains caffeine.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for MIGRANAL:
Acute treatment of migraine.
1 spray in each nostril, repeat 15 minutes later; max 6 sprays/24 hrs and 8 sprays/wk.
Ischemic heart disease. Coronary artery vasospasm (eg, Prinzmetal's angina) or myocardial ischemia. Peripheral artery disease. Sepsis. Post-vascular surgery. Uncontrolled hypertension. Other significant cardiovascular disease. Severely impaired hepatic or renal function. Basilar or hemiplegic migraine. Concomitant potent CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ritonavir, nelfinavir, indinavir, erythromycin, clarithromycin, troleandomycin, ketoconazole, itraconazole) or other vasoconstrictors. Within 24 hours of other ergot-type drugs or 5-HT1 agonists. Pregnancy (Cat.X). Nursing mothers.
Confirm diagnosis. Exclude underlying cardiovascular disease, supervise 1st dose, and consider monitoring ECG in patients with likelihood of unrecognized coronary disease (eg, postmenopausal women, men over age 40, hypercholesterolemia, hypertension, obesity, diabetes, smokers, strong family history). Monitor cardiovascular function in long-term intermittent use. Compromised circulation. Elderly.
Other ergots, 5-HT1 agonists, potent CYP3A4 inhibitors, other vasoconstrictors: see Contraindications. Potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, protease inhibitors, macrolides, azole antifungals, saquinavir, nefazodone, fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, grapefruit juice, zileuton), propranolol, nicotine.
Rhinitis, pharyngitis, dysgeusia, local reactions (congestion, burning sensation, dryness, paresthesia, epistaxis, pain), GI disturbances, dizziness, somnolence; myocardial and peripheral vascular ischemia or vasoconstriction (ergotism: discontinue if occurs).
Nasal spray—8 units (vial + sprayer)
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Subclinical Hypothyroidism: Controversies in Testing and Treatment
- Favorable Outcomes With Second-Generation Insulin Analogs in Type 2 Diabetes
- Canagliflozin Trial for T2D With CKD Stopped Early Due to Positive Results
- Type 2 Diabetes and Alzheimer Disease: What's the Connection?
- Risk for Hypoglycemia During Titration With Insulin Glargine 100 U/mL in T2D
- Using Latent Class Trajectory Analysis to Determine Glucose Response Curve Patterns
- First CGM System With Implantable Glucose Sensor Approved
- Empagliflozin, Linagliptin Combination Therapy vs Linagliptin Monotherapy for Type 2 Diabetes
- Risk for Below Knee Amputations With Canagliflozin vs Other Antihyperglycemic Agents
- Two Phases of C-Peptide Decline Identified in Type I Diabetes
- Effect of SGLT2 Inhibitors on Heart Failure-Related Hospitalization, Below-Knee Amputation
- Nutraceuticals Containing Equol May Be Effective for Postmenopausal Symptoms
- Conservative Monitoring Strategy for Non-Functioning Pituitary Adenomas Evaluated
- FDA: Some Rx Drugs May Become Available Without Seeing a Doctor
- PM2.5 Contributes to Burden of Diabetes Mellitus Globally