Cardiometabolic Comorbidities, Hospitalizations, and Costs Associated With Schizophrenia and Bipolar DisorderMay 18, 2017
People with schizophrenia or bipolar disorder experience twice the rate of diabetes and metabolic syndrome compared to the general population.
Researchers conducted a meta-analysis of 70 studies to analyze the prevalence of metabolic syndrome in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.
Postbiotic reduced hepatic insulin resistance in obesity and low-level endotoxemia.
Investigators conducted a meta-analysis of 129 studies focused on avocado consumption to determine the benefit in metabolic syndrome and hypertension.
Moderate, diet-induced weight loss can improve metabolic and cardiovascular risk factors in women with HIV.
Women with metabolically unhealthy phenotypes had higher risks of colorectal cancer than those who were metabolically healthy, even in women who had healthy weights.
Oxidized low-density lipoprotein (ox-LDL) as a proxy for oxidative stress is associated with metabolic syndrome and its components.
Pioglitazone improved whole-body aerobic capacity and skeletal muscle energy metabolism in patients with metabolic syndrome.
Each unit increase in family socioeconomic status in childhood is linked to a decrease in risk for adult metabolic syndrome.
Pooled analysis of more than 300 000 participants revealed a J-shaped relation between nap length, diabetes, and metabolic syndrome risk.
At week 52, all subgroups saw a change in levels of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol.
Young men who abuse anabolic steroids may place themselves at higher risk for cardiometabolic disorders.
Obese patients with metabolic syndrome and colorectal cancer have an increased risk for all-cause and cancer-related death.
Dry-heat cooking that produces advanced glycation end products may increase the risk of type 2 diabetes.
African-American women in particular experienced more rapid progression in metabolic syndrome severity during pre- and perimenopausal periods compared to post-menopausal period.
Researchers observed significant increases in all individual metabolic syndrome components and the overall metabolic syndrome score after chemotherapy.
Findings are from a review assessing supplementation in patients with metabolic syndrome.
Only diabetes and baseline HbA1c are significantly associated with distal symmetric polyneuropathy.
Sedentary behaviors may boost risk for type 2 diabetes by 22% and risk for metabolic syndrome by 39%.
Mild cognitive impairment as well as progression to dementia may be increased with metabolic syndrome.
Metabolic syndrome severity has decreased among adolescents from 1999 and 2012.
Alpha-tocopherol bioavailability is unaffected by dairy fat quantity.
Findings were in patients with controlled diabetes who added alcohol nightly to the Mediterranean diet.
Antimalarial drug may protect against metabolic syndrome in this patient population.
Early childhood hospitalization for infection tied to increased BMI and metabolic syndrome in adulthood.
There was a dose-response association, with a 1.5-fold increase among those sleeping less than 5 hours.
Coffee does not appear to increase or decrease the risk for lifestyle disease like metabolic syndrome, obesity or type 2 diabetes.
Increases in components of metabolic syndrome, and in prevalence of full metabolic syndrome.
Age a strong influencer, with almost 50% of those aged 60 years and older having the condition.
Physical activity has health benefits, but obesity is not only due to lack of exercise.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Osteoporosis Treatment Approaches in Women vs Men
- Fewer Menstrual Cycles May Lead to Increased Risk for Heart Failure
- Frequent Hot Flashes Worsened Endothelial Function in Younger Midlife Women
- Collaborative Care With Pharmacist Benefits Patients with Type 2 Diabetes
- The Handoff: Your Week in Endocrinology News - 5/26/17
- Liraglutide Plus Metformin Leads to Remission in New-Onset Type 2 Diabetes
- FDA Adds Boxed Warning to Canagliflozin Due To Increased Leg and Foot Amputation Risk
- Comorbid Congestive Heart Failure Linked to Worse Outcomes When Receiving Parenteral Nutrition
- Early Insulin Therapy Improves Type 2 Diabetes Care
- Brain Function Abnormalities With Overweight/Obesity in Type 2 Diabetes
- Long-Term Anabolic-Androgenic Steroid Use Linked to Myocardial Dysfunction and Atherosclerosis
- Dual Experiences in Endometriosis Health Care
- Normal Meal Tolerance Test Effective As Insulin Secretion Test in T2D
- USPSTF: Updated Preeclampsia Screening Recommendations
- Oral Contraceptives May Reduce Fracture Risk