Generic Name and Formulations:
Atovaquone 750mg/5mL; oral susp; citrus flavor.
Indications for MEPRON:
Treatment of mild-to-moderate Pneumocystis jirovecii pneumonia (PCP) in patients intolerant to trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole (TMP/SMX). Prevention of PCP in patients intolerant to TMP/SMX.
Limitations Of use:
Treatment of more severe PCP has not been studied. Mepron's efficacy has not been studied in those who are failing therapy with TMP/SMX.
Take with food. ≥13yrs: Treatment: 750mg twice daily for 21 days. Prophylaxis: 1500mg once daily.
<13yrs: not established.
GI disorders or inability to take with food. Monitor in severe hepatic impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant rifampin or rifabutin: not recommended. Antagonized by tetracycline; caution and monitor if use is needed. May be antagonized by metoclopramide (use only if other antiemetics are not available). Antagonizes indinavir; caution and monitor if use is needed.
Diarrhea, rash, headache, nausea, fever, rhinitis, vomiting, sweating, flu syndrome, sinusitis, pruritus, insomnia, depression, myalgia.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Single Blood Sample Highly Predictive for Subsequent Diabetes Diagnosis
- Adjunctive Metformin for Insulin Resistance in T1D: A Clinical Perspective
- Effect of Fructose, Allulose on Postprandial Glucose Regulation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Sex Hormone Levels May Affect Postmenopausal Heart Disease Risk
- Menopausal Hormone Therapy Slows Cognitive Decline in Postmenopausal Women
- Diabetes Treatments
- Metformin May Decrease Colorectal Cancer Risk Among Males With Diabetes
- SGLT2 Inhibitor, GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Combination Treatment for Type 2 Diabetes: Expert Insights
- Semaglutide May Induce Weight Loss in Type 2 Diabetes Despite BMI
- FDA Clears Omnipod DASH System for Diabetes Management
- Effect of Infant Feeding Practices and Gut Microbiota on Overweight in First Year
- Empagliflozin, Linagliptin Combination Therapy vs Linagliptin Monotherapy for Type 2 Diabetes
- Cleared Blood Glucose Monitor Systems Not Always Accurate
- CDC: Obesity Prevalence Higher in Non-Metropolitan Counties
- Vascular Mortality Declining in Adults With Diabetes in the United States