Generic Name and Formulations:
Rizatriptan (as benzoate) 5mg, 10mg; tabs.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for MAXALT:
Acute treatment of migraine.
≥18yrs: Initially 5 or 10mg; may repeat after 2 hrs; max 30mg/day. Concomitant propranolol: use 5mg dose; max 3 doses/day. The safety of treating, on average, more than 4 headaches in a 30-day period has not been established.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Ischemic heart disease (eg, angina pectoris, history of MI, documented silent ischemia). Coronary artery vasospasm (eg, Prinzmetal's angina). Uncontrolled hypertension. Other significant cardiovascular disease. Basilar or hemiplegic migraine. Within 24 hours of other 5-HT1 agonists or ergot-type drugs. During or within 2 weeks after discontinuing MAOIs.
Confirm diagnosis. Reevaluate if angina or ischemia symptoms (eg, ischemic bowel syndrome) occur, or if no response after 1st dose. Exclude underlying cardiovascular disease, supervise 1st dose, and consider monitoring ECG in patients with likelihood of unrecognized coronary disease (eg, post-menopausal women, men over age 40, hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, obesity, diabetes, smokers, strong family history). Monitor cardiovascular function in long-term intermittent use. Peripheral vascular or colonic ischemia following other 5-HT1 agonists. Hepatic dysfunction. Dialysis. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Selective 5-HT1B/1D receptor agonist.
MAOIs, methysergide, other ergotamines, or other 5-HT1 agonists: see Contraindications. Caution with SSRIs. Exposure increased by propranolol.
Asthenia, somnolence, dizziness, paresthesia, chest/jaw/throat pressure or other pain, dry mouth, nausea, headache; serious cardiac events (rare).
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Subclinical Hypothyroidism: Controversies in Testing and Treatment
- Favorable Outcomes With Second-Generation Insulin Analogs in Type 2 Diabetes
- Type 2 Diabetes and Alzheimer Disease: What's the Connection?
- Canagliflozin Trial for T2D With CKD Stopped Early Due to Positive Results
- Risk for Hypoglycemia During Titration With Insulin Glargine 100 U/mL in T2D
- Using Latent Class Trajectory Analysis to Determine Glucose Response Curve Patterns
- First CGM System With Implantable Glucose Sensor Approved
- Empagliflozin, Linagliptin Combination Therapy vs Linagliptin Monotherapy for Type 2 Diabetes
- Risk for Below Knee Amputations With Canagliflozin vs Other Antihyperglycemic Agents
- Two Phases of C-Peptide Decline Identified in Type I Diabetes
- Effect of SGLT2 Inhibitors on Heart Failure-Related Hospitalization, Below-Knee Amputation
- Nutraceuticals Containing Equol May Be Effective for Postmenopausal Symptoms
- Conservative Monitoring Strategy for Non-Functioning Pituitary Adenomas Evaluated
- FDA: Some Rx Drugs May Become Available Without Seeing a Doctor
- PM2.5 Contributes to Burden of Diabetes Mellitus Globally