Generic Name and Formulations:
Loxapine succinate 5mg, 10mg, 25mg, 50mg; caps.
Indications for LOXITANE:
Individualize. Give in divided doses, usually 2–4 times daily. Initially 10mg twice daily; severe: initially up to a total of 50mg/day. Dosage may be increased over first 7 to 10 days until effective response; usual range 60–100mg daily. Max 250mg/day. Maintenance therapy: use lowest effective dose; range 20–60mg daily.
Coma. Severe drug-induced (eg, alcohol, barbiturates, narcotics) depressed states.
Elderly (not for dementia-related psychosis; may increase risk of death). Management of behavioral complications in mental retardation patients: not recommended. History of convulsive disorders. Cardiovascular disease. Glaucoma. Urinary retention. Pre-existing low WBC or history of drug induced leukopenia/neutropenia; monitor CBCs during 1st few months of treatment. Monitor for fever and symptoms/signs of infection in patients with neutropenia; discontinue if severe (ANC<1000/mm3). Perform fall risk assessments when initiating and recurrently on long-term therapy. Neonates: risk of extrapyramidal and/or withdrawal symptoms post delivery (due to exposure during 3rd-trimester pregnancy). Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid concomitant alcohol, other CNS depressants. Caution with concomitant anticholinergic-type antiparkinson, CNS-active drugs. Significant respiratory depression, stupor and/or hypotension with lorazepam.
Tardive dyskinesia, hypotension, drowsiness, insomnia, jaundice, blood dyscrasias, GI upset, may mask emetic signs of overdosage or disease, lowered seizure threshold, dermatitis, rash, hyperprolactinemia, anticholinergic effects, pigmentary retinopathy, lenticular pigmentation, extrapyramidal reactions, neuroleptic malignant syndrome (monitor).
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Fasting Glycemic Variability Indicates Increased Risk for Type 2 Diabetes
- Heritability of BMI Stronger in Obesogenic Environments
- Adverse Events Associated With Diazoxide Treatment for Congenital Hyperinsulinism
- Maternal Gluten Intake Associated With Risk for Type 1 Diabetes in Offspring
- Domestic Refrigeration May Pose Underestimated Risk for Insulin Quality
- Vitamin D Supplementation Has No Effect on Musculoskeletal Health
- Deep Learning Algorithm Efficiently Detects Vision-Threatening Diabetic Retinopathy
- Industry-Funded Trials Often Involve Employees in Studies
- Nutrition Tips for Physicians: Staying Healthy During Busy Days
- Early-Onset Asthma/Wheezing Associated With Later Childhood Obesity