LOPRESSOR INJECTION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Metoprolol tartrate 5mg; soln for IV inj.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for LOPRESSOR INJECTION:
In stabilized patients after MI, to reduce mortality.
See literature. Early treatment: initially administer three 5mg IV bolus inj given at approximately 2-minute intervals; monitor BP, HR, ECG. If full IV dose (15mg) tolerable, give 50mg (tab) every 6 hours starting 15 mins after the last IV dose and continue for 48 hours, thereafter, give maintenance dose of 100mg (tab) twice daily; if full IV dose not tolerable, give 25–50mg (tab) every 6 hours starting 15 mins after the last IV dose or as soon as clinical condition allows; if severe intolerance: discontinue treatment. Late treatment: if early phase treatment is contraindicated, intolerable or delayed therapy needed, start with 100mg (tab) twice daily for at least three months.
Significant 1st degree heart block. 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block. Systolic pressure<100mmHg or heart rate <45 beats/min. Moderate-to-severe cardiac failure.
Avoid abrupt discontinuation in ischemic heart disease.
CHF. Monitor heart rate and rhythm; reduce or stop treatment if severe bradycardia develops. Bronchospastic disease. Hepatic dysfunction. Diabetes. Pheochromocytoma. Hyperthyroidism. Surgery. Avoid abrupt cessation. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Bradycardia with catecholamine-depleting drugs. May be potentiated by potent CYP2D6 inhibitors (eg, fluoxetine, paroxetine, bupropion, thioridazine, quinidine, propafenone, ritonavir, diphenhydramine, hydroxychloroquine, terbinafine, cimetidine), hydralazine, inhalation anesthetics. Increased risk of bradycardia with concomitant digitalis. May block epinephrine. Increased rebound hypertension with clonidine withdrawal. May enhance vasoconstrictive action of ergots. Withhold before dipyridamole testing.
Fatigue, dizziness, depression, hypotension (discontinue if occurs), diarrhea, rash, dyspnea, bradycardia, cold extremities, palpitations, CHF, peripheral edema, bronchospasm, heart block.
Tabs—100; Ampuls (5mL)—10
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Long-Term Efficacy and Safety of Dapagliflozin for Type 1 Diabetes
- Measuring Time in Range During CGM May Be Useful Outcome Metric for Clinical Trials
- HbA1c Variability in General Population Increases Risk for Cardiovascular Events, All-Cause Mortality
- Safety and Effectiveness of the Most Common Bariatric Procedures Examined
- AHA, ADA Announce Joint Education Initiative to Reduce CVD Deaths in T2D
- High Circulating Prolactin Concentrations May Lower Risk for Type 2 Diabetes
- Online Tool Helps Patients With Advance Care Planning
- Dapagliflozin Lowers Heart Failure Hospitalization Rates in High-Risk Patients With Diabetes
- Direct-Acting Antiviral Therapy Reduced Risk for Incident T2D in Patients With Hepatitis C Infection
- Technological Breakthroughs in Medicine Move Physician-Patient Interactions From The Computer Screen Back to the Exam Room