Generic Name and Formulations:
Acetohydroxamic acid 250mg; tabs.
Mission Pharmacal Company
Indications for LITHOSTAT:
As adjunctive therapy in chronic urea-splitting urinary infection.
Initially 12mg/kg per day every 6–8hrs; max 1.5g/day. Renal impairment: serum creatinine >1.8mg/dL: take at every 12-hour intervals; max 1g/day.
Initially 10mg/kg per day; monitor. Titrate doses to obtain therapeutic effects.
Disease and physical state amenable to surgery and antimicrobials. Urine infected by non-urease producing organisms. Infections controllable by oral antimicrobials. Renal dysfunction (CrCl <20mL/min, serum creatinine >2.5mg/dL). Females with unsatisfactory method of contraception. Pregnancy (Cat.X).
Severe renal impairment: monitor and consider reduced dose. Monitor liver function. Preexisting thrombophlebitis or phlebothrombosis. Monitor and obtain CBCs with reticulocytes after 2 weeks of therapy and every 3 months thereafter; if reticulocytes >6%, consider reduced dose. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Rash with concomitant alcohol. Concomitant dietary iron: may reduce absorption of both acetohydroxamic acid and iron (use IM inj form, if needed).
Mild headaches, tremulousness, nervousness, depression, anxiety, GI upset, hemolytic anemia, mild reticulocytosis without anemia, rash, alopecia, phlebitis, palpitations.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Metformin for Insulin Resistance in T1D: A Clinical Perspective
- Single Blood Sample Highly Predictive for Subsequent Diabetes Diagnosis
- Effect of Fructose, Allulose on Postprandial Glucose Regulation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Sex Hormone Levels May Affect Postmenopausal Heart Disease Risk
- Transgender Youth Not Willing to Delay Hormone Therapy for Fertility Preservation
- Diabetes Treatments
- Metformin May Decrease Colorectal Cancer Risk Among Males With Diabetes
- SGLT2 Inhibitor, GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Combination Treatment for Type 2 Diabetes: Expert Insights
- Semaglutide May Induce Weight Loss in Type 2 Diabetes Despite BMI
- FDA Clears Omnipod DASH System for Diabetes Management
- CDC: Obesity Prevalence Higher in Non-Metropolitan Counties
- Vascular Mortality Declining in Adults With Diabetes in the United States
- Led by AG Sessions, DOJ Declines to Defend ACA Against Federal Lawsuit
- Kidney Function Decline Occurs Nearly Twice as Fast in Diabetes
- Postoperative Radioactive Iodine Ablation Effective in Reducing Disease Recurrence in Low-Risk Thyroid Cancer