Dutasteride therapy for benign prostatic hyperlasia has been linked to elevated HbA1c and LDL cholesterol.
Patients with statin intolerance had a 36% higher rate of recurrent MI compared to those with high statin adherence.
Women experienced the same CV benefits in statin trials, despite having slightly elevated on-treatment LDL cholesterol.
Risk of both ischemic stroke and coronary heart disease was elevated with high triglycerides and low high-density lipoprotein cholesterol.
Low levels of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol appear to be well tolerated on alirocumab therapy.
Too few American young adults are receiving needed statin medications, according to findings published in JAMA Cardiology.
Fenofibrate therapy may reduce cardiovascular disease (CVD) in statin-treated patients with diabetes and dyslipidemia.
Oxidized low-density lipoprotein (ox-LDL) as a proxy for oxidative stress is associated with metabolic syndrome and its components.
Healthier diets may be a factor in the ongoing decline in cholesterol levels for Americans.
Women and minorities with HIV are less frequently tested for dyslipidemia, according to a new study from IDWeek 2016.
A mean 51% reduction in LDL cholesterol was seen in the group assigned to the 300 mg dose of inclisiran.
An analysis of more than 80,000 Chinese participants found that all alcohol consumption slowed the decline of HDL cholesterol in the body.
Antihypertensive drugs and rosuvastatin did not prevent or worsen cognitive decline in those at intermediate risk for CVD.
For patients with type 1 diabetes, the correlation between PCSK9 and LDL cholesterol is only seen in the highest tertile for HbA1c.
As children age, the impact of changes in HbA1c and BMI on LDL cholesterol and non-HDL cholesterol levels increases.
Low and high levels of HDL cholesterol are linked to increased mortality risk, according to a study published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology.
Screening for hypercholesterolemia is feasible at routine child immunization visits in primary care practices.
Statins can interact with other drugs prescribed for cardiovascular disease, but there are ways to navigate the issue.
Even if the impact of a given medication on lipid profile is relatively minimal, and therefore unlikely to independently affect ASCVD risk, the cumulative effect is important and cannot be overlooked.
Levels of triglycerides and HDL cholesterol are independent risk factors for chronic diabetic kidney disease in type 2 diabetes.
A range of pharmacologic agents have a potential role in the management of NAFLD.
LDL cholesterol-lowering genetic variants are associated with increased risk of type 2 diabetes, according to a meta-analysis published in JAMA.
Treatments other than statins also can effectively reduce cardiovascular (CV) risk, according to a review and meta-analysis published in the JAMA.
At week 52, all subgroups saw a change in levels of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol.
The researchers found larger absolute benefits for prolonged therapy and also noted that benefits outweigh rare cases of adverse events.
For patients with primary hypercholesterolemia, fixed-dose combination of ezetimibe plus rosuvastatin is more effective than rosuvastatin alone.
For patients with familial hypercholesterolemia or atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease, PCSK9 inhibitor use is not cost-effective.
The US Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) has concluded that the evidence is currently insufficient to weigh the balance of benefits and harms of screening for lipid disorders in children and adolescents (aged 20 years or younger).
All but one type of statin was associated with a dose-dependent neurprotective benefit against Parkinson's.
Routinely measured lipid fractions may be associated with the risk of coronary artery disease (CAD) and diabetes.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Imaging Studies in Hypothyroidism Evaluation Linked to Unnecessary Risks
- Transoral Endoscopic Thyroidectomy Vestibular Approach: Safety and Outcomes
- Once-Weekly Omarigliptin Improves Glycemic Control in Type 2 Diabetes
- Insulin Glargine Associated With Breast Cancer Risk in T2D
- High Grip Strength Associated With Lower Risk for Diabetes-Related AEs
- Update on Vitamin D and Calcium Supplements for Reducing Fracture Risk
- Lower Risk for SGLT2i-Associated Genitourinary Infection With DPP-4i
- Bariatric Surgery: An Effective Treatment for Type 2 Diabetes
- Severe Hypoglycemia Associated With Increased Mortality Risk in T2D
- Efficacy of CGM in Preterm Infants of Mothers With Diabetes
- Increased Risk of Diabetes, Post-Diabetes Pneumonia for Patients With COPD
- Pancreatic Exocrine Dysfunction Occurs After Islet Autoimmunity in T1D
- T2D in African American Women Ups ER-negative Breast Cancer Risk
- High-Sensitivity CRP and LDL-C Predictive of Subsequent MACE in T2D
- Risks Associated With Denosumab Discontinuation