Generic Name and Formulations:
Chlordiazepoxide HCl 5mg, clidinium bromide 2.5mg; caps.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for LIBRAX:
Adjunct in peptic ulcer. Irritable bowel syndrome. Acute enterocolitis.
Individualize. Usually 1–2 caps 3–4 times daily before meals and at bedtime. Elderly or debilitated: max 2 caps daily initially, then may increase gradually.
Glaucoma. GI or GU obstruction.
Risks from concomitant use with opioids; see Interactions. Monitor for paradoxical reactions. Depression. Suicidal tendencies (monitor). Hepatic and renal impairment. Obtain LFTs and blood counts periodically in prolonged use. Drug or alcohol abuse. Write ℞ for smallest practical amount. Avoid abrupt cessation. Elderly. Debilitated. Pregnancy; avoid during the first trimester. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Increased sedation, respiratory depression, coma, and death with concomitant opioids; reserve use in those for whom alternative treatment options are inadequate; if needed, limit dosages/durations to minimum and monitor. Additive CNS depressant effects with alcohol or other CNS depressants. Concomitant other psychotropic agents (eg, MAOIs, phenothiazines): not recommended. Increased constipation with concomitant other spasmolytic agents and/or a low residue diet. May rarely interfere with oral anticoagulants.
Benzodiazepine + anticholinergic.
Drowsiness, anticholinergic effects (eg, dry mouth, blurred vision, urinary hesitancy, constipation), ataxia, confusion; rare: jaundice, blood dyscrasias.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Higher BUN May Increase Risk for Incident Diabetes
- Efficacy of Novel GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Drug Device Examined
- Takeout Food May Increase Adverse Health Consequences in Children
- Nonhormonal Options Available for Menopause Symptom Relief
- Plasma Volume Changes Mediate Risk of CV Mortality With Empagliflozin
- New Consensus Recommendations on Use of Continuous Glucose Monitoring
- Does Genetic Susceptibility Lead to Late-Onset Type 1 Diabetes?
- Clinical Outcomes in T2D: Low-Carbohydrate vs Calorie-Restricted Diet
- New Continuous Glucose Monitoring System Now Available for Medicare Patients
- Text Message-Delivered Interventions Effective for Weight Management
- Effect of Intra-Articular Depot Betamethasone on Insulin Resistance in T2D
- Gastric Bypass vs Sleeve Gastrectomy Outcomes in Morbid Obesity
- Acute Kidney Injury Increases Risk for Postdischarge Hypoglycemia in Diabetes
- Novel Deep Learning System May Help Identify Diabetic Retinopathy
- Trends in CVD, Risk Factors, and Medications in Children With T1D