Lactulose solution Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Lactulose 10g/15mL; soln; for oral or rectal administration.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Lactulose solution:
Prevention and treatment of portal-systemic encephalopathy, including the stages of hepatic pre-coma and coma.
Oral: 30–45mL 3–4 times daily; may adjust dose every day or two to produce 2–3 soft stools daily. Hourly doses of 30–45mL may be used to induce rapid laxation initially; when laxative effect has been achieved, reduce dose to recommended daily dose. Maintenance: continue recommended daily dose. Rectal: may be given as a retention enema via a rectal balloon catheter. Mix 300mL of lactulose solution with 700mL of water or physologic saline, retain for 30–60 minutes. May repeat every 4–6 hours; if evacuated too promptly, may be repeated immediately. Start oral route before stopping enema entirely.
Oral: Individualize dose to produce 2–3 soft stools daily. Infants: initially 2.5–10mL in divided doses. Older children and adolescents: 40–90mL/daily. If initial dose causes diarrhea, reduce dose immediately; discontinue if diarrhea persists.
Patients who require a low galactose diet.
Perform thorough bowel cleansing with non-fermentable solution prior to electrocautery procedures during proctoscopy or colonoscopy. Diabetes. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Avoid concomitant laxatives. Caution with concomitant oral anti-infectives (eg, neomycin); monitor closely. May be antagonized by non-absorbable antacids.
Gas, cramping, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting; infants: also hyponatremia, dehydration.
Formerly known under the brand names Cephulac, Chronulac, Evalose.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Two Phases of C-Peptide Decline Identified in Type I Diabetes
- Dulaglutide Effective for Patients With T2D, Moderate to Severe CKD
- Incidence of Diabetes Influenced by Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals in the Environment
- Romosozumab: Effective in Men With Osteoporosis
- Guidelines for Management of Hypothalamic-Pituitary, Growth Disorders in Childhood Cancer Survivors
- Using Latent Class Trajectory Analysis to Determine Glucose Response Curve Patterns
- First CGM System With Implantable Glucose Sensor Approved
- Adjunctive Metformin for Insulin Resistance in T1D: A Clinical Perspective
- Risk for Below Knee Amputations With Canagliflozin vs Other Antihyperglycemic Agents
- Empagliflozin, Linagliptin Combination Therapy vs Linagliptin Monotherapy for Type 2 Diabetes
- NT-proBNP May Predict Cardiovascular Outcomes in Type 2 Diabetes
- Placebo Effect of Various Female Sexual Dysfunction Drug Txs Assessed
- Link Between Oral Diabetes Medications and Bullous Pemphigoid
- Calcium Channel Blocker May Benefit Patients With Type 1 Diabetes
- β-Cell Function in Youth With Impaired Glucose Tolerance, T2D