Increased PT Only: A Prolonged PT with a Normal PTT
Initiation of Coumadin therapy or a very low dose of Coumadin
Inadequate intake of foods rich in vitamin K, such as cauliflower, broccoli, chick peas, other leafy vegetables
A stimulus for disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC)
Evidence of liver disease from clinical or laboratory parameters
Family history of bleeding that could be associated with factor VII deficiency
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Get liver function tests to assess whether the patient has liver disease and decreased synthesis of coagulation factors from the liver
Get a D-dimer or FDP as an assessment of DIC
If the test is positive, follow up with platelet count and measurement of fibrinogen.
In patients with DIC, these can be decreased or show decreasing values in two consecutive specimens at least several hours apart.
If DIC, Coumadin therapy, and vitamin K deficiency have been ruled out, measure the factor VII level and assess the possibility of an isolated factor VII deficiency.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Reducing Hypoglycemia in T1D and T2D: Insulin Degludec vs Insulin Glargine
- Insulin Therapy Initiation in T2D Associated With Sedentary Behavior, Weight Increases
- Early, Middle Adulthood Weight Gain Linked to Increased Chronic Disease Risk
- BMD of Femoral Neck Declines Twice as Fast in HIV-Infected Women
- Diabetes Risk Lowered With Regular Alcohol Consumption
- Efficacy of Biomarker Screening Pathway in Monogenic Diabetes Diagnosis
- Heart Failure in Type 2 Diabetes: Improving the Risk Model
- Two-Hour Postload Glucose Test as Predictor of Cardiovascular Events
- HbA1c, Fasting Plasma Glucose Predictive of Alzheimer's in T2D
- Management of Hypoglycemia: Insulin Degludec vs Insulin Glargine
- BMD Loss Slowed With Delayed Antiretroviral Therapy in HIV
- USPSTF: Lifestyle Counseling Can Protect CV Health in Low-Risk Adults
- Improved Aspirin Responsiveness in Obesity With Bariatric Surgery
- Primary Plus Specialist Care in Diabetes with Compensated Cirrhosis: Is There A Benefit?
- Mild Cases of Cushing's Syndrome Present Diagnostic Challenges